PDA

View Full Version : tds high

Just Jim
12/20/2008, 04:18 PM
I am having tds problems and can't figure out what to do. I have been trying to keep my tds at 0 the best that I can. The RODI unit that I use is the Optima Vision series (not sure which company I bought it from). I recently replaced the membrane, and other 3 filters from buckeye. I didn't go cheap either, I got the best carbon filter they had. When I changed out the filters I got a tds of 0. After filling about 50 gallons of water, my tds reads 17. I just checked my house water and it read 360! If the tds meter went bad then it wouldn't have ever read 0 and it wouldn't read 0 if it wasn't in water, right? I can't figure out why my city water would be 360, since last time I checked it it was around 100 (that was a few years ago though). I normally go through about 40 gallons of rodi per week, 25 for water change and about 15 for top of, and I can't change the filters out every week or two.

Also the di color change resin that I just changed has only changed about 15% to brown. The rest is still blue.

HighlandReefer
12/20/2008, 05:06 PM
Did you check to make sure your membrane is properly seated?

Just Jim
12/20/2008, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13984595#post13984595 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HighlandReefer
Did you check to make sure your membrane is properly seated?

It's in the best it can go.

Billybeau1
12/20/2008, 06:07 PM
Even with tds of 360 ppm, you should still be able to produce 0 TDS water for about 6 months.

Something else is wrong.

How do you measure TDS ? An in-line or a hand held ? If your post di is at 17 ppm, what is your post membrane ?

This may tell us what is wrong.

Just Jim
12/20/2008, 06:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13984881#post13984881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Even with tds of 360 ppm, you should still be able to produce 0 TDS water for about 6 months.

Something else is wrong.

How do you measure TDS ? An in-line or a hand held ? If your post di is at 17 ppm, what is your post membrane ?

This may tell us what is wrong.

I measure tds with a hand held. I can't get at my post membrane. I'd have to pull out the pressure hose.

Billybeau1
12/20/2008, 06:38 PM
Well, I cannot get my handheld to measure zero either. No matter what I do. My in-line measures zero but some have told me they are not as accurate as handhelds.

If you are at 17 ppm with a handheld, I'd say you are pretty close to pure. :)