PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Conditioner

zack1a
12/20/2008, 04:57 PM
If you were in a pinch, as I am, is there a reef safe tap water conditioner that can be used to setup a transition tank after a big move?

Thanks

HighlandReefer
12/20/2008, 05:59 PM
There are additives to remove chloramine and chlorine which is added to public water systems. There is nothing economical to add to remove heavy metals, nitrates, sulfur, etc, so you would be taking a chance. If you were to go out and buy distilled water, that should work, but you could buy a new rodi unit for the cost probably. Perhaps you can borrow another rodi unit from a fellow reefer?

zack1a
12/20/2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah I tried to locate an RO unit to borrow but couldnt' find any takers.

Billybeau1
12/20/2008, 06:40 PM
I would probably chance it with fish only but, if you have corals you are transferring, it may be risky. :)

zack1a
12/20/2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah thats what im thinking now. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Looks like I'll have to buy the water at LFS.

Billybeau1
12/20/2008, 09:19 PM
Yes, may be a better choice than risking all of your livestock.

We tend to error on the side of caution here. :)

Good luck.

EllieSuz
12/20/2008, 10:48 PM
If your local LFS sells pre-made water, by all means, do that. It's not worth the heartache if the tap water is bad.

tonyf
12/21/2008, 12:52 AM
Does your local shopping centre have a RO water dispenser?

Given the wide range of chemicals that water utilities add to town water supplies and the ingress of contaminants through cracked and broken water mains, using tap water is a risky endeavour.

zack1a
12/21/2008, 10:12 AM
Yes I do have that option but I am in FL and my lady is in IN (the destination) so I was trying to limit the amount of lifting she would have to do. Thats a few jugs. Not to mention I will have to buy jugs that I already own down here.

jim.l
12/21/2008, 06:40 PM
If you can find a service co in the area, check on the price of having the water delivered and put in the tank. Down here it's about a dollar a gallon delivered into the tank. If you get the 120 running with powerheads for circulation you can put in your corals and make up and age whatever other you need for your sump and stock tank later.

zack1a
12/21/2008, 06:43 PM
Well she went ahead and carried all the water, mixed the salt, and set everything up herself! What a trooper, this is why I love this girl. Thanks everyone for your input and happy holidays!

Billybeau1
12/21/2008, 06:52 PM
You got yourself a keeper there Zach. :lol:

Happy Holidays to you as well.

Good luck on the move. :)