PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox Setup in Shallow Tank?

KRASHPD
12/21/2008, 07:58 AM
I would really like to go with a Tunze Wavebox in my new tank but I'm not sure how effective it will be in a shallow tank. The tank is a rimless 200g that is only 23.5 inches deep (Elos 160xl). The tank is also pretty wide at around 31.5". The wavebox 6212 is 11.5 inches deep so even if it was all the way at the top of the tank, the pump is still about halfway down inside. Due to the aquascaping, it looks like the live rock will block a lot of the flow from the wavebox and prevent it from making a decent wave. Has anyone else delt with this and how did it work? I've included a diagram for reference.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/KRASHPD/160xl/WaveboxDiagram.jpg

Jar*Head
12/21/2008, 11:18 AM
One of the member here has the Elos 160xl with the wavebox. He is able to crank a very good size wave out of that tank size. But every tank is different esp with the rock work. If you think the rock will block the flow from your wavebox, i recommend to go with the stream pump

madmike
12/21/2008, 01:10 PM
I have a 225, 72L x 30W x 24H and I get a great wave...had to turn the unit down to not splash water out of the tank! Luckily though I built my box external so no space is taken up in the tank.