PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain clownfish heredity?

tufacody
12/21/2008, 11:51 AM
I'm curious - are a Picasso's markings a hereditary traight, like blue eyes? Is the spawn of a picasso always a picasso? Or is a picasso just what they call normal occelaris /perculas with abnormal markings?

Do Picassos give birth to "normal" clowns? If so, I assume that a normally-striped clown can still carry the gene?

tufacody
12/21/2008, 02:09 PM
funny, I've asked breeders this question and nobody seems to know

elegance coral
12/21/2008, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13988561#post13988561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
I'm curious - are a Picasso's markings a hereditary traight, like blue eyes? Is the spawn of a picasso always a picasso? Or is a picasso just what they call normal occelaris /perculas with abnormal markings?

Do Picassos give birth to "normal" clowns? If so, I assume that a normally-striped clown can still carry the gene?

Yes, it is hereditary. All of ORA's Picasso's can be traced back to one pair. A wild caught male "Picasso" and a dark colored female. Not all of the offspring will show the Picasso trait. There are no Picasso ocellaris. They are all perculas. Any offspring of the original pair, be them normal or Picasso, may produce Picasso offspring.