PDA

View Full Version : Shipping fresh cut sps

kinerson
12/21/2008, 04:53 PM
Am I correct in thinking that when you ship a fresh cut sps the sps is literally cut minutes before it goes into the shipping bag? Should it be cut earlier in the day or a few days in advance?
Thanks,
Greg

Bruder
12/21/2008, 09:26 PM
If I were the buyer, I would want it cut days if not a week in advanced giving it ample time to heal up before it went through shipping. Fragging can be pretty stressful on a coral as can shipping, I can only imagine what both of them in a row could do to a coral.

kinerson
12/22/2008, 10:16 AM
agreed. that's what puzzles me with the whole clip and ship.

GoBigOrGoHome
12/22/2008, 12:49 PM
I know the last time I did an online coral order, the guy I was ordering from said he wouldn't ship till the next day because of this very reason. A couple of the corals I ordered hadn't been fragged yet, and he seemed to think that 24 hours is a sufficient healing period before shipping. I would tend to agree with it in general, although there certainly are cases of high stress in which it would be a good idea to wait at least a few days. If the coral is particularly difficult to frag, or if you rip a lot of flesh in the process, its definitely smart to wait several days between fragging and shipping, if not just for the reason that there may be some tissue necrosis that occurs after fragging, and you don't want that happening in the shipping bag.

aaron7405
12/22/2008, 05:33 PM
yep, my first coral order ever they all diy in the bag, I think the guy fresh cut the SPs and did not give them time to heal. I would wait for a coupplke of days too.

GoBigOrGoHome
12/22/2008, 11:02 PM
diy=doa??

aaron7405
12/22/2008, 11:44 PM
DOA

kinerson
12/23/2008, 08:19 AM
it makes sense to me but apparently many people just clip and ship. im sure part of it too is how healthy the sps was prior to being cut and the type of sps.

GoBigOrGoHome
12/23/2008, 10:31 AM
If you're good at fragging, i.e., you don't end up with two frags and a bunch of little bits in between, and you don't leave chunks of flesh hanging without skeletons, its usually safe. However, things happen sometimes, and if its a valuable frag that you are confident in it's hardiness, why not hold on to it for a couple days to be sure?