PDA

View Full Version : chemical supplement questions

mb167204
12/21/2008, 08:34 PM
When i bought my current tank the guy threw in all these chemicals but didnt give me any input as to when to add them (with the exception of two that had writting on the back of them). Any advice would be much appreciated.

SeaChem Reef Kalkwasser (big cylinder tub)
Kent marine chromaplex
kent marine Tech M expert series
Kent marine Strontium and molybdenum
kent marine iodide
kent marine expert series pro buffer dKH (with instructions written on back: 4 capfulls @ once a week in morning.)
kent marine expert sereis liquid reactor ( with instructions written on back: 2 capfulls @ once a week at night time.

thanks again guys. My reef would be freshwater without everyone here.

also various Red sea master kits and salifert mg and ca test kits.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/21/2008, 08:45 PM
I'll take the cop-out approach and give you some "rules to live by" rather than specific applications for the stuff you've listed.

When considering supplements, I only add things if BOTH of these rules apply:

1) I know, for a fact, that my livestock is using it up and/or they have a need for it.
2) I have a way to measure the additive in a reasonable way to ensure it stays at the target range.

That said, the vast majority of tanks fall in to one of two categories:

1) Not very much calcifying livestock. These tanks are fine on regular water changes.
2) Lots of calcifying livestock. These tanks will use up calcium and alkalinity faster than water changes can replenish them.

In the first case, you need no additives. In the second case, you need to get calcium and alkalinity in the tank. There are a variety of approaches to doing this: kalkwasser (will replenish both in the correct proportions), two-part dosing (allows you to control the two separately), or calcium reactors (complicated and expensive for newcomers).

mb167204
12/21/2008, 09:56 PM
how do i know if im a 1 or a 2

blakeorme
12/21/2008, 10:11 PM
If you just setup your tank than your probably a 1. Give us some details about your setup and we can specify.

Mike31154
12/21/2008, 10:14 PM
Your tank info currently shows FOWLR so I assume you have no stony corals? If this is the case, you are a 1. For the time being it appears that you won't be needing a lot of the additives the chap provided you with.