PDA

View Full Version : Does a powerhead's pumping capability decrease over time?

psimitry
12/21/2008, 10:27 PM
I'll preface this by answering the most obvious questions. Yes, I do clean the pump. No, I have no blockages in my return plumbing.

The issues I'm having is this. I've owned two Via Aqua VA2600 pumps now that I use as a return pump from sump to my 90 gallon tank. Over time, both pumps have gone from a RAGE flow to a slow trickle. I clean them, I run them in vinegar, nothing. I can't seem to do anything to bring back the performance. And as I can't get any decent flow from the pump, my sump is proper temperature, but my tank is cold and I'm hardly pulling any skimmate from the skimmer.

So I guess what I'm asking is for suggestions to either a: bring back the performance of the 2600 (preferable), or a suggestion of a pump that won't lose performance over time like this.

I've considered a mag-drive 7, but they're kinda pricey, noisy and hot (I had a used one that I was using inbetween time when I got my replacement VA2600 and managed to drop it when I was moving recently).

Help?

customcolor
12/21/2008, 11:08 PM
i have heard of this with the mag7 pumps too. the fix would be get a new impeller. the magnet on the impeller could be loosing its magnatizum (sp?)

psimitry
12/21/2008, 11:20 PM
Grr. Is there a pump that DOESN'T have this problem?

I'd hate to spend the money on an external pump, but if it's what has to be done...

psimitry
12/21/2008, 11:27 PM
Alternatively, replacement impellers are kinda hard to find.

hairyman1
12/24/2008, 12:13 AM
No, the pump is shot. When the coil winding goes on a epoxy sealed pump that's all she wrote. You need a new pump. I've had some pumps QO due this within 18 months and one mag after 6 years. No pump will last forever, but there are a few tricks to help it last longer.

Toddrtrex
12/24/2008, 12:29 AM
Just throwing this out there.

Next time you clean it, try testing the output of it. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket, and have it fill up an empty one. Then figure out how close it is to its rated value. Not saying that it isn't bad, but would let you know if there is some blockage in your pipes. I think the odds of this are fairly low, but it won't cost you anything.

And as for pumps being pricey, I agree that some are more expensive then others, but sometimes they pay for themselves. I have a 7+ year old Velocity T2 that is running just as great as the day I bought it.

mrapisura
12/24/2008, 11:53 AM
I have the same pump that I bought used that I was pricing. You can find a new one for under $40 not including shipping. I also found an impeller for $10 on ebay. Let me know and maybe we can share shipping on a new pump or get the impellers. Your comments have me wondering if my flow is low, but because this is my first time using the Via Aqua and wasn't sure. How long did your pump last you? I like them because they seem to not put out much heat. Send me a pm if you are interested. I am in Queen Creek, but Work in Mesa.

psimitry
12/27/2008, 11:00 PM
Update: Got a new impeller from the ebay site that mrapisura mentioned.

Result: zero improvement.

I have a flow meter that I've never used. I will get some flex hose from lowes tomorrow and rate it.

I'm probably going to have to just bite the bullet and buy a new pump, but we'll see.

psimitry
01/14/2009, 12:56 PM
Ok so a buncha days later, I still haven't rated the flow on the pump (just haven't had time).

HOWEVER - does anyone know if closing the outgoing line via gate valve to say (and this really is a guess) 1/3 flow causes excessive wear & tear on the pump?

Toddrtrex
01/14/2009, 12:57 PM
No, as long as it is on the output side it is fine. Input side would cause damage.

psimitry
01/14/2009, 01:05 PM
Definitely on the output side.

Dang it I just gotta measure the flow on the thing. That will at least help me measure the problem.