PDA

View Full Version : Emporer angels and Flame Angels Compatible?

zachtos
12/22/2008, 08:58 AM
Simple enough question, I have a Juvenille Emperor angel that is eating well and I was wondering if I could get a few flame angels to the tank. It's a 75G FOWLR tank w/ macro algae and the only other creature in there is a black spiny urchin and a serpent star. It's plumbed into my 240G reef w/ 300G sump.

Would they eat the same food?

Would they fight?

Is the tank too small? (It contains relatively little live rock, maybe 40-50 lbs)

Tried searching and could not sort through to specifically target this question. Posted in both marine fish forum and fish only because I'm not sure who will know the answer as I've seen flame angels in both setups.

Chibils
12/22/2008, 09:44 AM
Large and small angels tend to ignore each other. Your emp will be a little big for the 75 when full grown.

thor32766
12/22/2008, 09:59 AM
they shouldnt have any problems, but as mentioned the emp will need room later on.

zachtos
12/22/2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks, I've heard the same about the emperor needing more room as he grows out. It is possible for me to upgrade that tank a little in the future as my budget grows to a wider & taller tank, but not longer.

Sounds like they will work. I was considering 3 flame angels and with the emperor to color up my 'fuge' display tank.

I currently feed one oyster per week, and a pinch of frozen food (blended up shrimp/salmon) daily. There is chaetomorpha in the 'refugium display' tank for him to graze on. The tank is supposed to be a low predation zone for copepods, but I don't think it'll stay that way w/ 3 flames and a emporeor will it?

stunreefer
12/22/2008, 03:37 PM
Depending on how much you feed, the flames will devastate pods (especially little Flames) IME.

jrouleau426
12/22/2008, 04:35 PM
the flames will battle each other in a 75

LisaD
12/22/2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks, I've heard the same about the emperor needing more room as he grows out. It is possible for me to upgrade that tank a little in the future as my budget grows to a wider & taller tank, but not longer.

IMO an adult emperor in any size 4 foot tank is not going to work out. Mine is around 6" with adult colors, and he uses all of the space in my 6' 210. When he gets adult size, I expect to either upgrade to a bigger tank or find him a home.

Would you consider trying the emperor angel in your 240 reef? Some have done it. Mine ate a bunch of zoanthids when I had it in QT, but left alone all leathers, mushroom polyps, Turbinaria and my lone SPS (forget what it's called, it's the coral Christmas tree worms associate with). The tank isn't much of a reef, it's more a planted lagoon with a few corals.

If you really want multiple Centropyge, I'd limit the flames to just two, or try a flame and a coral beauty.

zachtos
12/22/2008, 08:59 PM
My reef tank has too many tangs for me to try to add anything else. I would expect that I have a few years before my emperor outgrows the tank. It would be nice to know from a few people if flame angels fight eachother in smaller tanks.

LisaD
12/22/2008, 09:18 PM
EDIT: oops, never mind, addressed in thread in other fish forum...

DamnPepShrimp
12/22/2008, 11:51 PM
It'll be a lot less time then a few year for your emperor to outgrow a 75g. I'd suggest getting rid of him now, since you really aren't planning much of an upgrade for him ever. I'd just stick with dwarf angels.