PDA

View Full Version : pump question

primalwear
12/22/2008, 10:01 AM
i am thinking about relocating my sump to the basement directly under my tank using a 50gal rubbermade stock tank i have a 90gal allglass tank with a factory overflow what type pump would i need to use in order to push that much water back to the tank and keep the right flow rate should be no more than a 15' distance

primalwear
12/28/2008, 08:05 AM
i guess no one can answer me huh maybe someone can direct me to a web site that can

ordy1
12/28/2008, 10:02 AM
That's a good question. Fifteen feet vertical or horizontal or vertical and horizontal?

I think it has something to do with the capacity of your overflows, vertical height (which translates into "Head Pressure"), number of fittings and types of fittings, and total length of piping. At least that was my understanding from reading "The Reef Aquarium vol.3 by Sprung/Delbeek.

I think these guys need more info from you. Size of overflow, vertical runs, etc. You can also try the "Flow Calculator" located on the "Home Page" of this forum.

I have a basement sump also. I've torn it down about three times. At one point I had the tank up and running and was not happy with it so... tore it down once more. My whole dilemma stems from my return pump and return manifold. I'm now thinking of getting a Eheim 1262 and running it's 3/4" discharge through a manifold, with one 3/4" tee and three 1/2" tee's. I'm running it four feet vertically but all the reducing and branching has me confused. My point is that it's a little more difficult than just slapping a pump on the thing and keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it all works out....Good luck