PDA

View Full Version : Tank prep for mandarin

Rainmann
12/22/2008, 12:41 PM
Greetings,

I am seeking some advice / opinions as to preparing my tank to support a Mandarin. My tank is small, but has LOTS of rock that is very well established.

I have a 29 gal tall tank with about 80 lbs. or so of live rock, and 3" or so sand bed. The tank uses a huge canister filter (which gets cleaned once a week). It's loaded with carbon, bio balls, and gravel. There is no sump, and the tank is not drilled. I have recently installed a CPR Aquafuge on the back of the tank with a 3" sand bed, rubble, and cheato. I also have a nice Deltec HOB skimmer. I have several small corals, a single clown and cleaner shrimp. And of course, lots of janitors. The tank is extremely solid - the chemistry pretty much never changes.

The tank has been established and running for 8 years now. It has always used canister filters (different ones over the years). Once the refugium becomes nice and seasoned, I would very much like to ditch the canister all together. Just use a carbon pouch in the skimmer. Have any of you successfully kept a single Mandrin in an environment such as this? I don't have a problem supplementing with live pods on occasion, but I'm hoping that my rocks and fuge will be enough to sufficiently handle a breeding colony. Any constructive info will be appreciated!

Paaxil
12/22/2008, 01:26 PM
I have kept my mandarin in my 20 gallon since March '08. He eats mysis and brine though, I reduce the flow in the tank a lot during feeding time so he can eat. I also have a hang on the back filter that I just keep like rock in and these seems to help alot. I feed the tank every other day and it seems to be working so far. He is not a skinny mandarin either, he looks like he ate a marble.

Rainmann
12/22/2008, 02:10 PM
Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I'm sure one would be just fine in my tank. I guess I'm just a little nervous about turning off the canister since it's been running for so long.

kmf507
12/22/2008, 03:28 PM
Can you post a pic of your tank? I'm wondering what a 29 with 80lbs of LR looks like.

If you really have that much LR, you may have success with a mandarin.

Rainmann
12/22/2008, 04:27 PM
I'm still moving the rocks around to get an arrangement that looks a little nicer. (I recently moved the tank.) It's hard to tell from the pic, but it's 2 layers deep.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/209501IMG_1148.JPG