PDA

View Full Version : n i g e r triggerfish question

agreeive?fish
12/22/2008, 01:41 PM
I have a ~2" n i g e r triggerfish thats in qt right now (for the last 4-5 days).. my question is how long after you put yours in the display tank before the nasty TRIGGER ATTITUDE comes out..

he will be going into a 7x2x2 tank

please post your experiences with n i g e r triggerfish.. tank mates will be tangs, large angels,wrasses and maybe another trigger(?)

ccampbell57
12/22/2008, 01:48 PM
mine has been in my DT for almost 3 years and is still a model citizen. Got him when he was just over 2" and is only 5".

Recty
12/22/2008, 02:18 PM
2" niger triggers will be very reclusive, in my experience. I had a couple small ones in the past, they hid a lot in the rocks. My large niger comes out but he is about 9" now not counting the tail streamers.

I wouldnt worry about your small niger copping an attitude.

agreeive?fish
12/22/2008, 04:46 PM
thanks for the replys

LisaD
12/22/2008, 04:49 PM
I grew mine up from under 2" to just over 3" in a 55, and he was fine. just before I was going to put him in a bigger tank, I found him on the floor. :( this is the only tank that wasn't covered, it is a weird sized 55.

saltyguy51
12/22/2008, 07:24 PM
I have had mine for a year and is about 5" now and is fine with everyone except the blue jaw who he chases off and on but never really does any damage.

limitdown
12/22/2008, 07:32 PM
I picked up my current niger at 3" and is now 5" after 2yrs. He sticks to himself. Spends half his time digging. These guys can get big, but they group quite slowly.
My pink tail is just 3", but tries to bully some of the weaker species like butterflies and tangs once in awhile. Nothing serious though.

bigred16
12/23/2008, 07:12 AM
I got my Niger 1.5 years ago at about 3" and he is about 7-8" now, no real aggression problems, can hold his own if needs be though.

kirkaz
12/23/2008, 08:23 AM
I am on my second Redtooth (my preferred name) Trigger. First one I had for nearly 5 years, once he got to about 5 inches he pretty much destroyed a big Maroon Clown that he had gotten along with up till then....Other than that he was more antagonistic than anything, for example he would bite my Puffers tail and run away...seriously:lol: He liked to "wrestle" with the Lunare and the Naso Tang too, but my big Achilles Tang kept him in check though.

My current one is still the smallest fish in my tank, though not for long, he and my Sargassum occasionally go at it, problem is neither will back down, so the skirmishes are occasionally a little nasty.

Yes I do believe these fish get more nasty as they age, I don't recommend them other than with fish capable of defending themselves, which it sounds like you have.

Oh and in my first tank I had a Huma too, they got along fine and left each other alone.

LisaD
12/23/2008, 08:29 AM
justinpsmith has posted about his suddenly turning into a bully, I think at six inches. Justin?

Snausy
12/23/2008, 10:50 AM
I've had three NIgers that all started great but eventually turned into the bully of the tank and I had to find a new home for.

They are definately triggers.

My last one had my wussy harlequin tusk hiding in the back corner on his side underneat the powerhead all day/night. I never saw him. The niger would go toe to toe with my nice dogface puffer...I got tired of him being a jerk.