PDA

View Full Version : Buying used rock how to make sure it is clean?

sikpupy
12/22/2008, 03:47 PM
All these people selling used rock, how do I know if it is safe for my tank? Guess if I find a buyer, I could grab a small peice and test it. Is there a test pattern like setting it in known 0 amount TDS water for "X" amount of time and then checking? If it has a high TDS readings, can I do anything to clean up the TDS readings? I guess if there is copper in it I am screwed on that end, but, if I test a small peice I would be okay?

One thing I would definitly do is dunk the rock in a 50/50 vat of bleach for 2 days to burn off ANY live crap on it, seeds, weeds critter or any living cell there is. Dont care about new cycle time. If it comes used, I want it to be "virgin" when it hits my tank.

What do the expert rock buyers here do?

Mr. Brooks
12/22/2008, 04:39 PM
I bought a bunch of live rock from two different people. Wish I'd let it sit outside in the sun for a couple days. My brand new 225 has aptasia popping up left and right. So annoying.

manhorsedog
12/22/2008, 04:46 PM
i bleached mine for a few days then cleaned in ro water for a day, removed then baking soda for a few days and then back in ro for a couple more days.

this worked great for me, really clean rock

sikpupy
12/22/2008, 04:53 PM
General cleaning is not really a problem. I am worried about the people that used tap water on it for 10 years and or treated their tanks with copper or other chemicals. You KNOW they are not gonna say "why yes, my rock is full of awfull s**t you dont want, lol.

I want to make my own rock, but, there is a guy selling for $2lb and that makes it veeeery tempting but I dont want to get stuck with bad rock.

aerius007
12/22/2008, 05:04 PM
Look on ebay, I bought walt smith rock for around $2lb and that was with shipping.

sikpupy
12/23/2008, 07:36 AM
I dont know, reefing is starting to be a hot commodity! Deals are getting harder to find, lol.