PDA

View Full Version : What fish for my 75 gallon reef?

eros
12/23/2008, 05:27 AM
I've decided to go full reef so I've gotten rid of my aggressive fish and want to replace them with reef safe fish. I already have a Hippo Tang and a Starry Blenny. Does anyone have any recommendations for some colorful/interesting fish that would be suitable for my tank?

ton702
12/23/2008, 06:05 AM
I'm gonna tag along on this one as I'm looking for ideas for my new 75

eros
12/23/2008, 06:11 AM
I'm considering a Mandarin, but I don't know if I have the pod population to support one. I would also like a Coral Beauty but I've read they can eat corals and I don't want to deal with that. Maybe a Yellow Tang? I don't want to make any more fish purchases that I regret.

LisaD
12/23/2008, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't add another tang, maybe after the hippo outgrows the system.

Have you considered reef safe wrasses such as fairy/flashers?
If you're not worried about inverts, flame hawks are great fish
orchid dottyback

flamron
12/23/2008, 06:26 AM
One tang in a 75 is plenty, especially a blue. You would want the mandarin to be your last addition, as you want the pod pop. to be as large as possible.

Whatever you decide to add, just be sure that it won't outgrow your system or you aren't properly setup to handle it.

Korrine
12/23/2008, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't do a coral beauty, but there are others that may be alright. Read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php

Why couldn't he have another tang in the tank if it's really different from the other one?

Goodwin9
12/23/2008, 11:17 AM
A group of Anthias would be a nice addtion. They add color and tend to swim together.

Chibils
12/23/2008, 11:19 AM
They're big waste producers. Try a shoal of cardinals, some wrasses, a pygmy angel (hope for one that's reef safe), some basslets (may or may not be shrimp safe), gobies...

Snail-po
12/23/2008, 11:28 AM
clownfish!:) you should get some rare clowns, hopefully a pair with a nice anemone.

eros
12/23/2008, 11:41 AM
I think I am going to add a pair of clowns. I was wondering if you can mix the black and white with the normal colored if they are the same species? I think it would be cool to have one of each.

I don't think I'm going to get a Coral Beauty, I just got rid of some fish that weren't reef safe and I don't wanna take any more risks. I do like wrasses though, I had a lunare wrasse but he liked to eat inverts so I had to get rid of him. I'd like to get something similar but reef safe, he had really nice color.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14001951#post14001951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snail-po
clownfish!:) you should get some rare clowns, hopefully a pair with a nice anemone.

MattL
12/23/2008, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14000270#post14000270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
I've decided to go full reef so I've gotten rid of my aggressive fish and want to replace them with reef safe fish. I already have a Hippo Tang and a Starry Blenny. Does anyone have any recommendations for some colorful/interesting fish that would be suitable for my tank? Wrasses! They didn't do much for me when I was starting out, but inch for inch, they have the most entertaining behavior (IMHO) of any reef fish! I am just sorry I didn't make room for more and discover them earlier!

Anthias! They also put on quite a show continuously. I have a harem of 5, and from my experience, they do need open space.

Clowns also are very entertaining. I wouldn't add another tang, and you run the risk with a dwarf angel.

Matt:cool:

anbosu
12/23/2008, 12:48 PM
My problem with wrasses is the ones that I like aren't reef safe. Great fish though with good personality.

Snail-po
12/23/2008, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14002025#post14002025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
[B]I think I am going to add a pair of clowns. I was wondering if you can mix the black and white with the normal colored if they are the same species? I think it would be cool to have one of each.
QUOTE]

im almost certain that you can have a pair with one of each color becuse they are the same species , its just a color morph.

Moonstream
12/23/2008, 06:41 PM
black and white 'aussie' clowns are just a color morph of normal ocellaris. a pair of one B&W and one orange ocellaris would be fine, I have seen it countless times, including at one of the LFS's I frequent.

Moonstream
12/23/2008, 07:42 PM
oh, and also, I am a BIG fan of my yellow canary wrasse, and my female juvi lamarck's angel.

I also liked my m/f pair of firefish and my carpenters flasher wrasse. all were great, fun fish.

another of my favorite fish are yellow wrasses and mimic tangs, thought the latter might be on the large size for a 75g.

Bax
12/24/2008, 09:22 AM
I'd say clown pair, pygmy angel pair, orchid dottyback would be great additions long term.

Although a group of anthias would be sweet!

J.R.L.
12/24/2008, 11:02 AM
in my 75 i have:

scopas tang
coral beauty
pair of clowns
male lyretail anthia
yellow coris wrasse
starry blenny

eros
12/24/2008, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14008298#post14008298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bax
I'd say clown pair, pygmy angel pair, orchid dottyback would be great additions long term.

Although a group of anthias would be sweet!

Thanks for the advice. I like the Yellow Canary Wrasse but on LiveAquaria.com they mention that they might eat feather dusters and I have a few of those that I like in my aquarium. Does do you have any experience with yours and feather dusters?

eros
12/24/2008, 03:37 PM
Also, when you do a group of Anthias do you get one male and a few females? How many should you get?

MattL
12/24/2008, 04:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14010347#post14010347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
Also, when you do a group of Anthias do you get one male and a few females? How many should you get? Buy all females. Let nature take its course. the change happens quickly.

Matt:cool: