PDA

View Full Version : Nomenclature Correction - [i]Acanthurus tristis[/i]

xJake
12/23/2008, 03:00 PM
Hello LiveAquaria.com and/or DrsF&S.com Staff,

I've already sent an e-mail inquiry about this, but I figured posting it in the forums as well couldn't hurt anything. I just happened to be using your online livestock catalog at LiveAquaria.com as a tool for finding scientific names and classifications (a.k.a. binomial nomenclature), and I noticed a rather glaring error in the classification of this particular specimen: http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+1758&pcatid=1758&N=0

I believe this fish is erroneously classified as A. pyroferus. A. pyroferus, or Lemon Peel Mimic Tang, (unless I'm mistaken) is a species mostly found in the local Pacific waters of the Fiji islands coastal-reef area - coinciding with the species they mimic C. flavissimus.

A. tristis, or Eibli Mimic Tang, on the other hand, is located in a much broader region which includes the Fiji Islands and extends throughout the majority of the Indo-Pacific tropical reef ecosystems. This also coincides with the specified range of the species they mimic, C. eibli, as well.

These are definitely two distinct species, and I feel you should classify them as such. These individually unique organisms meet the standard criteria for individual species classification using the "biological species concept" (BSC). This is true even despite having a similar common name and the similar developmental behavior of "mimicking" members of the Centropyge genus to increase survival chances (A. pyroferus mimicking C. flavissimus, and A. tristis mimicking C. eibli). I trust that you can use the resources available to you to correct this error; however, if you require further proof of this classification, then please feel free to ask and I will gladly post such evidence to confirm my claims.

I realize this is just a very small and trivial error, but it is an error nonetheless. I would also like to mention that I am a large supporter of the LiveAquaria.com and DrsF&S.com stores. I've had nothing but excellent shopping experiences, and I have never, and probably will never, find another retailer with the ability to match your level of excellence in customer service and satisfaction.

I'm simply trying to assist you in keeping your livestock catalog as accurate as possible, and I would hope that anyone who uses your web-page could appreciate this. Thanks for being such a great retailer. You might be more costly than other retailers on some items (which doesn't happen very often), but I'll continue ordering with your company simply due to the level of customer service you provide and the immediate satisfaction I receive when opening my newly delivered orders (especially when noticing how well-packaged and secured every item/specimen is).

Anyway, I'll stop gushing about your great business practices and let you get to the task of correcting that name. Thanks for being an excellent retailer, and happy holidays!

Thanks again,

Jake

dfs/la2
12/23/2008, 03:12 PM
xJake,

Thank you for your post. We sincerely apologize for any possible errors in our specimen description for the Mimic Eibli Tang. Your concerns have been brought to the attention of our Web Department for further review and correction.

Mike S.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)