PDA

View Full Version : Can Cabage coral be removed?

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 10:17 PM
So my patch of cabage coral is spreading like a weed, and I was wondering if there was a way to not just trim some of it but remove it from a rock completely?

xJake
12/23/2008, 10:38 PM
It really depends on what you mean by "cabbage coral." There are several scleractinia and octocorallia species known by the common name "cabbage coral." These include Montipora capriconis, Sinularia dura (Lobophytum crassum), Sinularia flexibilis, Turbinaria sp., and several others. Please post a photo, or give further description of the coral you are referring to.

Since you describe it as "growing like a weed," I'm going to assume, for the moment, that you're referring to some type of soft coral. The simplest way to remove soft corals is to pull the branching "arms" or "leaves" up away from the base and then use a razor blade to slice the coral as close to the base as possible. Then remove as much of the coral as possible pulling from the newly cut base of the coral. Simply keep repeating until you no longer notice any growth. It may also help to cover any remaining tissue with kalkwasser paste or even calcium chloride pellets; this should kill the remaining tissue and subsequently prevent the coral from growing back. If I've learned one thing from keeping softies it's that you never throw them away. There's always some LFS or pet store willing to take your "trash" corals; usually for some kind of payment or store credit.

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 10:54 PM
its on the far left......and has grown alot since it was taken
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/chris121277/PICT0001-1.jpg

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 10:56 PM
it is a softy......so should i do this out of the water?....as i have herd that it will release a toxin into the water when you cut it

xJake
12/23/2008, 10:56 PM
Okay, that looks like Sinularia dura. So you should be able to use the instructions I gave above for removal. It'll probably get pretty slimy (literally), but you should keep at it until you're satisfied with the removal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14006507#post14006507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris&Mel
it is a softy......so should i do this out of the water?....as i have herd that it will release a toxin into the water when you cut it

That would probably be best, but it shouldn't make a huge difference. I haven't seen the rest of your tank, but unless you have some sensitive SPS corals (or something similar) then it should be fine to do in the water. Just keep your skimmer running wet for a couple days, and maybe run some carbon if you have any laying around.

Here's an article that may be of assistance: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/fotm/index.php The author suggests even using scissors as a possibility. I've never thought of doing this, but it might make your job a lot easier (it would also allow for quick removal to reduce any toxins that might be released).

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure if I have any that are sensitive but here's a shot of everything
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/chris121277/PC100042.jpg

xJake
12/23/2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah, everything will be fine. I actually think the scissors may be the best choice. Just give it a few snips at the base and then pull it out. Kill off the rest of the tissue with kalkwasser paste as I described.

*sirens* uh-oh... It looks like the "Tang Police" might be on their way... (I don't personally have a problem with A. japonicus or L. vulpinis in a 60-gallon but many users on here do - you may want to take down the photo.)

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 11:05 PM
one more question......should i were gloves when i do this?

Bill Cobb
12/23/2008, 11:05 PM
Do it in the water, but DON"T make the mistake I made with this softy. When you make cuts, it releases toxins. I didn't realize this. The first time I did a few prunings and everything went great. About 6 mos. later I pruned again only more sustantially. Within a week my entire tank crashed and I lost everything except for the fish. All coral, snail, hermits, macroalgae etc. gone.

Make sure you prune a few leaves at a time, wait a week or so and prune again.

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 11:07 PM
so if it release's toxins....would it not be better to do it out of the tank?

xJake
12/23/2008, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14006575#post14006575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris&Mel
one more question......should i were gloves when i do this?

If you have any history of sensitive skin or allergic reactions then I would just to be safe. Terpenoid toxins can cause severe allergic reactions in some people. As Bill said, you may want to do the pruning slowly to prevent the same scenario he experienced. I haven't had any issues with large prunings, but I've also only mainly worked with fairly large systems (180-gallon+).

As for doing it out of the tank or not, I would just do what you think is the safest course of action. If you want to go to the trouble of removing the rocks then go ahead; it might give you more reassurance that your tank won't crash because of something you did. I don't think it will be an issue, but if you're at all undecided then I would pull the coral out of the water to do the removal.

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 11:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14006569#post14006569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xJake
Yeah, everything will be fine. I actually think the scissors may be the best choice. Just give it a few snips at the base and then pull it out. Kill off the rest of the tissue with kalkwasser paste as I described.

*sirens* uh-oh... It looks like the "Tang Police" might be on their way... (I don't personally have a problem with A. japonicus or L. vulpinis in a 60-gallon but many users on here do - you may want to take down the photo.)

well....I lost him and all my fish execpt the fox face to a Ick or some parasite...so should be fine with the tang police :(

xJake
12/23/2008, 11:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14006621#post14006621 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris&Mel
well....I lost him and all my fish execpt the fox face to a Ick or some parasite...so should be fine with the tang police :(

That sucks. Sorry for your loss. :(

Chris&Mel
12/23/2008, 11:14 PM
so....I know now to throw them in the hospital tank at the first sign....took under a week to wipe out almost everybody

Bill Cobb
12/23/2008, 11:43 PM
I'm no biologist, but I believe the open cuts will continue to release their toxins after putting the rock back in the tank for a day or so and would not bother removing them unless you want to be real safe. Just prune prudently and not a bucch at once. I've got my back after 2 years and I give a little prune now and then, no problems. Like xJake says the larger the system, the more fles you have.

Bill Cobb
12/23/2008, 11:45 PM
Getting sleepy, bunch & flex
sorry

xJake
12/24/2008, 12:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14006817#post14006817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bill Cobb
I'm no biologist, but I believe the open cuts will continue to release their toxins after putting the rock back in the tank for a day or so and would not bother removing them unless you want to be real safe. Just prune prudently and not a bucch at once. I've got my back after 2 years and I give a little prune now and then, no problems. Like xJake says the larger the system, the more fles you have.

I would think that since his goal is total removal that the amount of tissue left on the rock would not be able to release enough Terpenoid toxins to do any major damage. That's part of the reason why I suggested just clipping the tissue away from the rock and removing the coral from the tank ASAP. If he was planning to leave the cut corals in the tank then he may run into the problems you're describing, but obviously his goal isn't fragmentation but instead is removal.

Personally I would just slowly begin clipping out large pieces of it. Then rubber band it down to a shell or small rock to let it heal/recover. When it has attached to the substrate you've provided then take it to your LFS and see if you can get some money or store credit for it. Obviously you should call ahead first, otherwise you may just be wasting your time for nothing.

Chris&Mel
12/24/2008, 01:10 AM
thanx for the info guys,
much appreciated