PDA

View Full Version : breeding brine

scottallert
12/24/2008, 04:35 PM
has anyone attempted to breed brine and were successful,
and if i get a batch of live brine will they breed?
or do i have to keep byeing eggs?

nonamethefish
12/24/2008, 11:12 PM
They will breed easily. But it is impractical to produce large quantities.

Buckets outside kept at about 78 degrees with greenwater and occasional cleanings should work.

bunkerboy
12/25/2008, 08:03 AM
I spent alot of time and money on raising brine shrimp last summer... here is what i learned. I fist started with a 10 gallon tank, water 1.014, temp 80, 24 hour light, with a huge airstone. Added two teaspoons of brine shrimp eggs, and started feeding wheat flour on day four. All went ok, and at two weeks i had adults, and shortly after i had adults carrying eggs, something that my local fish store said was impossible. So i then purchased 18 gallon rubbermaid containers to try more, and had about 10 total containers bubbling. Around day 8 everything would crash. I then switched to prepared t-iso, and things still crashed around the same day, which was expensive tests. I tried all different salinities, temps, lights, but to no avail. I think the trick is smaller containers, and lighter feedings. All in all, i switched to black worms as a way to feed my clown broodstock live stuff. Good luck. bunker

iamwrasseman
12/25/2008, 11:10 AM
i have only had limited luck and they usually dont get to be adults,but i was breeding for my pipefish . best to ya

just hanging
12/25/2008, 11:19 AM
yea its better to use smaller contarners, a 10g would work great

MYDRAAL
12/25/2008, 07:44 PM
$13.00 for 8oz decap. bottle right here in Fl. Why bother with growing them out?