PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Tower - Detritus Trap?

BBev
12/24/2008, 07:16 PM
Hey,

I'm debating whether to add a bubble tower or a filter sock to my sump. Does a bubble tower trap detritus?

I plan to vacuum out the sump with each water change and like the thought that a bubble tower would replace the need to change a filter sock every few days. But, I'm afraid that the rock rubble in the bubble tower would trap detritus and I would imagine it would be difficult to clean or remove the rubble in the bubble tower once the hard PVC pipe for the drainline is in place.

Please provide me with your thoughts.

Thanks

matrixpb03
12/24/2008, 07:37 PM
I put a small bucket in my sump and then drill hole(s) in the lid for the drain tubes and then 2 or 3 holes on the bottom of the bucket. All the salt creep collects on the lid and good bubble free water comes out of the bottom. It works great and never have a problem with detritus. Cause there is a good amount of flow going through it.

WaterKeeper
12/24/2008, 07:42 PM
If the bubble tower is a protein skimmer it will remove detritus and other particulates as the bubbles attach to the particles as they rise to the surface and it ends up it the skimmer cup.

You still need to clean the cup every day or two but the skimmer also removes protein, something a mechanical filter does not do.