PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this??

jonbohannen
12/24/2008, 08:26 PM
I was doing some night watching with a flashlight last night and noticed some interesting things on my LR. And for some reason all this activity was on one particular piece of LR. I saw at least 5-10 bristle worms about 1/4 inch long (looked like they had two colors: pink and brown), spagetti worm tentacles x4-5 ( I hope), and a new creature I have no idea what it could be. I tried and tried to get a picture but my camera would not focus well enough to make it out. This thing only comes out at night. The tentacles are about 1/4inch tall, the tentacles are opaque and have a single white ball at the end of each tenticle. It probably had 10-12 tentacles. At the center appeared to be its mouth or butt...whichever. Also when touched with an object it quicly retracts into a sac looking thing. This sac can't be more than an 1/8th inch tallxwide. I noticed a snail was feeding on the LR during the night and in the morning it was dead right on top of where this alien creature was.....also I don't know if it was my imagination but I think I saw one of these ball like structures from the end of the tentacles break loose and get swept away in the current....who knows where that ended up.....hopefully in my sump filter... After doing some research, I've narrowed it down to tube worms, hydroids or aiptaisa. The thing that throws me off are the little balls at the ends of the tentacles and its nocturnal behavior.:confused: Also I should add that during the day this thing is not present at all.....it's like it sucks back in to the rock. Also I've identified at least 8-9 others on the same rock but not at all the same size. They are all much smaller... I'm sorry for this very fragmented description but if I didn't give you enough information please let me know....

Some background:

I started my 75g about two months ago. I initally bought and cycled approx 60 lbs fiji live rock. After this process I decided I wanted more live rock. So I bought an additional 20lbs pre-cured rock. The unknown creature is from the pet stores curing tank.....:( .....I'm pretty sure. (This affected rock is anyway.)

If you guys can help me I would be very appreciative!!! I just want to know what you guys would do..... This tank is going to be a reef tank so I don't want to start on the wrong foot.

-Happy Holidays

MM WI
12/24/2008, 10:36 PM
You should relax and enjoy these critters, the vast majority of them are beneficial. If you keep live rock in the tank for at least six to eight weeks before adding sps or other corals any animals that specialize in eating corals should starve off. Even most of the animals that you will read in here eat corals are beneficial. What happens is a coral is weakened by shipping or bad water parameters and the clean up crew move in to do their job and feed on the health compromised animal. It is just too convenient to blame the clean up crew.

Some pests have become more common with all of the coral trading between hobbyists and with some hobbyists specializing in one type of coral, sps only tanks for example, the environment for a pest is ideal and it can be spread quickly with the trading. So some caution is necessary, but the worms and other small critters you get in on your live rock will help seed your tank with animals you need to keep a healthy reef. The most common pest that is found on live rock is the mantis shrimp which can eat your fish.

- mark

jonbohannen
12/25/2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your reply Mark,

Just a question. Are you saying that if it's aiptasia or hydroids I shouldn't worry about it? The reason I ask is I've heard many horror stories about these pests and don't want to be a statistic. I do agree that the spagetti worms and bristle worms are benifical, but the aiptasia and hydroids? Maybe I'm being paranoid......

MM WI
12/26/2008, 12:28 AM
You need to stay on top of the aipstasia, I like natural means like berghia or a good aipstasia eating reef safe fish. The pepermints are popular but could be a bit preditory themselves on your corals. The hydroids should not be a problem. They should crash if left alone and your water quality is good. people who have a problem will not like this statement but focus on the hydroids is misplaced. It really should work itself out in a month or so if your water quality is good and your setup is well thought out. - mark

reefD
12/26/2008, 12:39 AM
i agree your tank is in its early life and i also never panic'd over hydroids. have had success for years and hydroids never seem to become an issue.

jonbohannen
12/26/2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks guy!!

I appreciate your input. I will try my best to get a picture tonight so maybe you can tell if it's aiptasia or hydroids.. Thanks

greggnyce
12/26/2008, 02:45 PM
If it was aiptasia you should be able to see it during the day.IMO.

Candi
12/26/2008, 07:09 PM
it's a ball anemone, which is actually a type of shroom I think... I believe there are a couple different types, ones that stay small and come out at night mostly (Ive had them in my tanks for years, different color tips) and bigger more troublesome ones. Google orange ball anemone and see where that leads you.

jonbohannen
12/26/2008, 07:42 PM
it's a ball anemone, which is actually a type of shroom I think... I believe there are a couple different types, ones that stay small and come out at night mostly (Ive had them in my tanks for years, different color tips) and bigger more troublesome ones. Google orange ball anemone and see where that leads you.

I just searched Google and it was exactly what you said. I'm so relieved...I have the Caribbean species. (the good one). With this I guess this case is closed. Thanks Candi and everyone else that helped!

-Jon