PDA

View Full Version : malu anemone

Michael
12/25/2008, 02:30 PM
anyone got one of these, if so how big is it and how long have you had him

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/poppiedog/2008_122525dec20076.jpg

sassafrass
12/25/2008, 02:47 PM
That looks like what I would call a seabae anemone , they can be one of the more difficult nem's to care for and usually get no larger than 6 inches. I have never owned one but have alot of experiences observing them.

Michael
12/25/2008, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14014426#post14014426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sassafrass
That looks like what I would call a seabae anemone , they can be one of the more difficult nem's to care for and usually get no larger than 6 inches. I have never owned one but have alot of experiences observing them.

well thats interesting, i had a good look on the web at malus and i never saw any which had blue tips, although they look like this fella,they had purple tips typically, so perhaps your right with it being a seabae, im confident he will be ok in my tank, its a good year old, only has 2 small fish and conditions are near perfect i feel, but thanks for the warning about them, looks like a bit of investigating for me know then, thanks a lot:)

jbird69
12/25/2008, 04:23 PM
I had one just like that, with blue tips. It was 6"+. My domino damsel slept in it. After about 4 months of what appeared to be perfect health, it just crawlwd behind the reef and expired...really fouling my tank.

J

NCSUsalt
12/25/2008, 07:16 PM
sebae can refer to either H. crispa or H. malu. to me that actually looks like H. crispa, but It woudl be easier to identify with the tentacles expanded as malu has rings on them. I've always actually found them to be hardy, provided you get a healthy one to begin with. and they get MUCH larger than 6". I recently sold one that had been in my care for about a year and was over 16" across.