PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Food - Recommendation Needed

Meaty24
12/25/2008, 08:58 PM
Where is the cheapest place to order frozen food on-line? I am so tired of paying the local fish store top dollar.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Fish_wiz2
12/25/2008, 09:04 PM
Buy Rod's food on PA (premium aquatics), his food IMO is the best frozen which now feeds most/all aquarium life since he has 5 formula's. lucky for me he is not far so i can go directly to him for it but my LFS gives me a discount so it's all good ;)

Agu
12/25/2008, 09:06 PM
Make your own blender mush. I haven't bought fish food for 5 years.

wrott
12/25/2008, 09:13 PM
Shipping cost pretty much negate any kind of "low cost frozen food".
My fish like Hikari mysis and Spirulina enriched Brine Shrimp--Petsmart.
Online, I would be sure it is shipped w/ dry ice--not just ice packs. I've had 2 orders that were thawed when shipped w/ only ice-packs from Foster/Smith.

wrott
12/25/2008, 09:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14015724#post14015724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Make your own blender mush. I haven't bought fish food for 5 years.
Agu, do you have a special recipe, because that would truely be the way to go for fresh, frozen fish food.
Thanks, Rod

virginiadiver69
12/25/2008, 09:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14015764#post14015764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrott
Shipping cost pretty much negate any kind of "low cost frozen food".

Not if you order from Dr's Foster & Smith.
They do a flat rate shipping for frozen food. Get a few people together to split your order and you can easily save 50% over LFS prices. I think Hikari brand is the best for frozen food.

Agu
12/29/2008, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14015786#post14015786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrott
Agu, do you have a special recipe, because that would truely be the way to go for fresh, frozen fish food.
Thanks, Rod

Rod,
I buy frozen mixed seafood at my local grocery. it's fish,shrimp,squid,clams, and stuff I can'y identify. Selcon, Cyclop-Eze, and sushi wrap is added to the mix. I use the blender and do small batches of fine, medium and coarse. You may have to add RO/DI water so it pours. Once it's all done it's poured into sandwhich sized freezer bags about 1/8" thick and frozen flat. Make sure to expell all air from the bag so it doesn't freezer burn.

r-balljunkie
12/29/2008, 10:28 PM
Ha,

i posted this previously,

http://www.marshreef.com/modules.ph...article&artid=1

its Eric boernmans recipe. i have to admit, i am partial, he is from houston, and used to peruse and post on local board.

i have not purchased fish food in years, sans some mysis shrimp to feed my borbos anthias <new purchase, cant risk it!>

make your own, nothing like quality control!

use eggcrate to make cubes, when you freeze it on a cookie sheet. 2-3 a day, your golden.

c

wrott
12/29/2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.