PDA

View Full Version : limitations of digital power bar

jwalters103
12/26/2008, 02:45 AM
is the 6 socket digital powerbar capable of handling 3 x 250w metal halide ballasts and a t5 ballast or do i need the 2 socket high amp expansion socket? how much can the powerbar handle, and if i need the high amp expansion, how many do i need considering 2 mh ballasts kick on at the same time?

AQD_ottawa
12/26/2008, 08:21 AM
As with any power bar the limitation is 15amps as this is what a single wall socket is limited to any more than that and you are overloading your house hold wiring.

Recommended to stick with 13amps (you never run a car a full revs as a working example)

Amps = watts divided by volts

jwalters103
12/26/2008, 04:08 PM
so since the new icecap ballasts are rated at 2.21 amps, then it would handle 3 of these with about 8.4 amps to spare? is it acceptable to connect two of these to the same socket on the powerbar via an adapter to have them go on and off at the same time and save a socket?

AQD_ottawa
12/26/2008, 04:36 PM
Yes if thats is what they are rated to, in regards to connecting two together due to huge high in rush currents on initial striking I would advise not.

Although the power bar can handle it and has in rush protection of 200amps on milli second striking, it is not advised to push electronics as it just shortens the life of the devise no matter who makes it.

In this case take advantage of the high amp extension sockets, this not only spreads the lamp loading onto a seperate wall socket but also saves you using two sockets on the digital bar for the same job. The high amp comes with two sockets that react together.