PDA

View Full Version : Seavisions C.A.D.S full stand alone filtration

lamontcarter
12/26/2008, 10:10 AM
Seavisions claims to have full stand alone, maintenance free filtration systems for any sized tank. They even do the water changes for you (supposedly). Apart from the dialysis machine removing even the good minerals from the tank during its operation, has anyone heard or know anything about these units and thier claims? Go to seavisions.com, then products, then c.a.d.s, it should be there (sorry no link, im using a phone).

TandN
12/26/2008, 10:16 AM
I just sold my dialyseas. And it was only because I needed the money. I used it for a year and it was GREAT!!!! I had it on a full blown SPS tank and nev er did a manuel WC for that whole year i had it on it and could not of been happier then I was when I had it

lamontcarter
12/26/2008, 10:21 AM
Sounds really promising, they do claim to be the best filtration systems ever. How much did it cost? Did you use any other type of filtration? How much power did it use?

areze
12/26/2008, 10:24 AM
breifly looking at it, I see an automatic water change system. nothing too shocking there, looks like a nice unit that utilizes an RO/DI, dosing pumps, and some method of applying the salt to it.

stuff like this I ussually look for claims that seem too good to be true, and suprisingly here, I see no such claims. people have been doing automated water changes for a while using 2 dosing pumps with a salt water resevior and a drain line. of course this takes it 1 very expensive step further with the RO/DI built in and a way to add the salt automaticly.

did it remove filtration? well uhhh what filtration? I mean, if you rotate water out fast enough I guess you dont need a skimmer... of course you'll go through water and salt at an accelerated rate with so much changed water. but if the 3000$ cost of the unit doesnt deter you, the salt expense probably wont :)

as for adding a micron filter and vaccuming that clean so it doesnt get clogged, an interesting concept, what do they do with the water that gets vaccumed though? you cant clean it... could run it through a skimmer maybe? or just use that as the water change water(not sure if you can vacumm a micron filter at 100gpd though based on what they can replenish to the system from a normal RO?DI)

I could believe that they have a way though, like I said, I dont see anything else on the site claiming things that seem crazy or unsubstatiated. leads me to believe them...

lamontcarter
12/26/2008, 10:29 AM
The totm for this month has one. He says that he only replaces 50$ worth of salt every 4 months, and about 700 total bucks a year on the probes and everything together. If i had a filtration system like that, i wouldnt mind too much.

areze
12/26/2008, 10:32 AM
50$ in salt? thats like 300-400g of water, 100g water change a month, not so unbelievable, 25% a month.

lamontcarter
12/26/2008, 10:36 AM
It sounds like a cool system. But i think the full stand alone units cost a lot more than $3000. Thats probably why they dont list the price. I sent an inquiry via e-mail to them yesterday. If and when they reply ill be sure to share the information with you guys.

TandN
12/26/2008, 10:58 AM
It cost me $3000 for the dialyseas. I also used a phosban reactor on my tank. Areze FWIW $50 is a bucket os salt which is 160g NOT 400g. And thats for how he has it set up. I did 2.5g a day on my tank and went through 2 buckets of salt for the year. Instead of taking out the tank water like a regular WC would do this machine takes out the tank water runs it through a filter which takes out nutrients. At the same time the water coming out is lower in salinity then when it comes in so the machine adds a high concentrate of SW to compensate for the lose of salt. That way the waterchange uses alot less salt then making a bucket and adding salt to it.

TandN
12/26/2008, 10:59 AM
lamon go to there site and follow the links they have prices right on there website

areze
12/26/2008, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14017689#post14017689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tanya72806
It cost me $3000 for the dialyseas. I also used a phosban reactor on my tank. Areze FWIW $50 is a bucket os salt which is 160g NOT 400g. And thats for how he has it set up. I did 2.5g a day on my tank and went through 2 buckets of salt for the year. Instead of taking out the tank water like a regular WC would do this machine takes out the tank water runs it through a filter which takes out nutrients. At the same time the water coming out is lower in salinity then when it comes in so the machine adds a high concentrate of SW to compensate for the lose of salt. That way the waterchange uses alot less salt then making a bucket and adding salt to it.

you need to shop better :p

I ussually pay around 30$ for a bucket of reef crystals(though drfosters raised the price now!). rounded down a bit ;)

lamontcarter
12/26/2008, 11:21 AM
I was more interested on the price of the full stand alone kit, with the skimmer and the c.a.d.s. Does the dailyseas model 1 completely filter up to a 2000 gal tank by itself, like it says on the site? What about a tank that size with a heavy bioload? Im really contemplating using this as my main filtration system when i build my tank. Also, do any of you guys who had a dailyseas think you may have needed a calcium reactor to replace the ca that the dailyseas removes? Does the system somehow compensate for that?

TandN
12/26/2008, 11:39 AM
Areze lol yeah if you use that. Remember there are alot of salts out there ;) I pay $75 for a handmade salt from Pennsylvania.

Lamont yeah you would need a CR regardless how you set up your tank or the balling method which they have pumps they sell also I never used them though. yeah you can choose from 2.5g, 5g or 10g a day

lamontcarter
12/26/2008, 11:42 AM
Cool sounds good. So far im impressed with it. Is the price the main reason its not more widely used?

TandN
12/26/2008, 11:49 AM
No its not more widely used because Gerry who invented it and owner of seavisions made it for his personal use for his company. He sets up and maintains LARGE set ups. Commercial and home. He actually tried to talk my husband out of buying it because we only had a 120g. And he felt it was too much for that size of a tank. He very straight foward. Lamon There are other ways to do AWC which is much much cheaper. This though monitors the conductivity level and adds salt if it calls for it. It is a ATO system and the AWC machine. the CADS I know only what Ive read I never used it myself.

areze
12/26/2008, 11:52 AM
the dailyseas doesnt seem to filter anything... not sure if it doses anything. it appears to be purely an ongoing automated water change system. so it would replenish calcium and other trace items by default through the fresh salt that is constantly introduced, and it would "filter" the water by simply removing dirty water.

we ussually use micron filters and skimmers, and dosing, and all that such stuff because its easier and possibly cheaper to do than to constantly change the water. kinda like throwing the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

however, Id venture to say that there is no better way to maintain a clean tank then to do frequent constant water changes.

91yota
12/26/2008, 11:56 AM
chat with RC member TJH... he has a C.A.D.S. along with the Dialyseas on his 600g along with a BK500int and a Ca reactor