PDA

View Full Version : Coral Suggestion

giants101
12/26/2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys, I am new to the hobby so I am just looking for some direction on what type of corals should I start out with.

55gallon tank. 60lbs of live sand. 12lbs of base rock. 15lbs of live rock. Marineland c-360 canister filter (I can't ditch it). 3 Koraline1 powerheads. 78 degree temp. Protein Skimmer on order. 216w t5 with blue led moon lighting.

Crystal clear water, been running for about 2-3 weeks now.

So, what corals should I start out with? Should I get a couple hardy fish first? Maybe a starfish?

I am open to suggestions and recommendation on what I should start stocking my tank with. You have my info, so let me know! Thanks in advance.

jasert39
12/26/2008, 02:36 PM
test your water make sure all your levels are where they need to be...wait one more week then start adding livestock slowly. Good beginner corals...zoos, green star polyps, kenya trees, mushrooms, etc.

should post this question in the beginners forum

puresalt420
01/10/2009, 08:13 AM
star with xiena

dsubaru
01/10/2009, 10:31 AM
providing that your water conditions are OK I would consider zoos.. they come in lots of different colors and aren't that expensive (depending on where you go and the colors and size of the frags.)

stylolvr
01/12/2009, 01:54 PM
Careful with the canister filter that you don't start accumulating nitrate over time. Just keep it clean, and keep an eye on it.

Soft corals are, IMO, the best for begginers, as they don't require as much light as (some) LPS and SPS, and are generally a bit hardier. Mushrooms, Zoanthids, Xenia, and star polyps are all great fits to get started with. It is always extra motivational to see your corals growing and multiplying, which all of these will do very well with proper maintenance and water quality.

I would not recommend any sea stars to begin with.

Continue to do research on respectible websites, and remember, there will be times where it seems more work than it is worth, but it isn't. Keep plugging along. There is always good advice on RC when you need it.

Good Luck! Post pictures when you can!