PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Super Skimmer 65

cwbhawk
12/26/2008, 07:25 PM
I have had my coralife skimmer for a few days now, and it is in my 29 gallon tank. It seems to be producing alot of micro bubbles, but not any skimmate. The big problem is that micro bubbles are coming out and into the main tank. The Skimmer is hanging on my tank because I do not have a sump. How can I stop the microbubbles from getting out of the "bubble deffuser box" that doesn't stop the bubbles at all! Will the bubbles stop if i am patient and wait? Does anyone have experience with the Coralife Super Skimmer? Any advice about getting the skimmer to work correctly will be great! Thanks in advance!

nikon187
12/26/2008, 09:17 PM
Most skimmers need a break in period of a couple of weeks before seeing much skimmate. The superskimmer is very finicky to adjust especially with a constantly changing water level ( when hanging on the tank due to evaporation)

otrlynn
12/26/2008, 11:17 PM
I have this skimmer and there is a break-in period before it starts producing skimmate. Did you carefully follow the directions when setting it up? Initially the valve above the pump should be in a partially closed position, and the red knob on top of the skimmer may also need to be shut down pretty far. As the skimmer breaks in, the valve above the pump should be in the full open position, and you can use the red knob to regulate how high the bubbles rise in the neck of the skimmer cup.

The top of the bubble diffuser box needs to be above the level of the water in the tank, and the flexible hose that dumps water into the diffuser box needs to be shortened so that it does not touch the white filter pad in the bottom of the diffuser box. Also, try pulling up the black "sponge" with the hole in it up a little above the top edge of the diffuser box. As long as I rinse out the black sponge, and rinse or replace the white filter pad weekly, I have very few microbubbles in the tank.

You may get a lot of negative posts about this skimmer, but once adjusted properly it does skim and produce a fair amount of dark skimmate. It is finicky to adjust though, and you sort of learn as you go along. I suggest also that you make adjustments when you are home and can keep an eye on it, so that you can re-adjust it if it is skimming too "wet" and the cup keeps filling too fast.

Chris&Mel
12/26/2008, 11:33 PM
I have the 220 version of this skimmer and have spent hours trying to get rid of the micro bubles. So far the only thing I have found that works is to take out that white pad and throw it in the garbage then take a large piece if filter floss (aprox 8x16 inches) place it over the difuser box then push the sponge into the box so the floss is around and under it.
This also makes the out put tube fits in the hole of the sponge tight with no were for water to exit without flowing threw it.
I've also tryed the PCV mod on the out put, it did improve the bubles but with both of these things done I have none.

Here is the link for the PVC mod
http://www.tylermerrick.com/content/css_notes.php

cwbhawk
12/29/2008, 03:16 PM
The microbubbles have slowed down substantially, throughout the past couple of days. But i still have some in my tank. If the bubbles continue i will probably try some filter floss, or a mod. I will try to let the skimmer break in before i worry about it anymore. Thanks.

sasharotty
12/29/2008, 09:22 PM
Yup give it time.You will probably have some at the very end of the breakin too.Had this same skimmer on a 50 gallon and did a very decent job for the price.

BigH55
12/29/2008, 09:38 PM
Put a bucket under it. Miine overflowed about a hundred times. JMO