PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting a AquaPod?

carnophage
12/26/2008, 08:59 PM
I have a 12g aquapod and was wondering if the below light, just one, would be able to light it? I was thinking i ould gut the hood, and just throw one of these fixtures i the hood. It says that it puts out 50-60 watts, that is about the same as what is in there now, 2-27w pc bulbs, but these LED's only use 4 watts of power, and put out the same amount of light, with almost no heat, and LED's last years vise the PC bulbs that i have to replace evey 12 months or so. So, the one fixture would ay for it's self after 2 years, plus t power saving. Does anyone have any of these light fixtures in use, do you think that my plan would work? Thanks!!!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18485

IslandCrow
12/26/2008, 09:56 PM
These lights are not meant to provide lighting for an aquarium. LED lighting that serves that purpose will cost you over $1K. Basically, what you have linked would make good moonlights for a larger aquarium, but that's about it.

WaterKeeper
12/26/2008, 10:36 PM
That isn't watts they are talking about. It is lumens per watt. A T-5 fluorescent puts out 100-110 lumens per watt so these are about half that. For a FO tank or low light corals they are probably fine but you wouldn't want them for SPS, anemones or clams.