PDA

View Full Version : Prefilter on a Skimmer

lb013
12/26/2008, 11:32 PM
I am having a problem with my Beckett injector on my skimmer getting clogged. I was thinking of putting some sort of inline filter after the pump to help reduce the clogging. It is picking up Cheato from in the sump and I have to clean out the injector 2x's a week to keep it running right:mad:. Has anyone every had a problem similar to this and if so how did they solve it? Thanks.

One Dumm Hikk
12/27/2008, 12:05 AM
Put the input to the skimmer after a baffle that seperates the fuge from the skimmer compartment. Or, get rid of the macro (sorry, not a big fuge fan myself).

mfinn
12/27/2008, 08:57 AM
Keep the cheato but add some baffles to separate the skimmer from the area with the cheato.

lb013
12/27/2008, 04:20 PM
I have baffles in the sump, that is why this drives me nuts. I think I might just get rid of the cheato or maybe move it to the display. I think what I might try is to make a small basket and secure it in the tank. That way the fish can pick at it as it grows through the plastic, I have a place for the pods to grow, and the chaeto can help filter the water. That probably is my path but if it looks bad in the tank I will pitch it. Thanks for the replies

mfinn
12/27/2008, 05:46 PM
The way I have my sump setup is I have 3 chambers, each is separated by 2 baffles.
The first chamber is where my skimmer is, the second is where the refugium and the cheato are. The third is for other equipment and the bulkheads that go to the return pumps are.
I do use some sponge to keep the cheato from going to the return area.

lb013
12/28/2008, 09:32 AM
mfinn
My sump is setup the same way; skimmer, fuge, return.
I don't have any type of sponge in it. The pump for the skimmer just pulls it out and it collects at the injector. I didn't think of using any type of sponge between the baffles. Thanks