PDA

View Full Version : A little help here

mojo~
12/27/2008, 10:49 AM
I have been looking for a new camera. I have been reading the posts and well I am a bit torn. I am a bit out of my element with the camera's. So I am asking you all what I should get. My current camera, a Fuji S700 is great for taking shots out side and around the house but is terrible for takin shots of the tank. Everything looks blue and washed out. There is no Raw, white balance, and the autofocus through the glass isnt the best. So, I started out not wanting to spend much money but it seems I am going to have to spend a couple $$ to get what I need. I dont want to drop a grand on a camera. I would like one that will show true colors of my tank and can zoom in through the glass a little to take pics of the coral. After much reading it seems I am down to the Canon G10, Nikon d40, and the Panasonic DMC-FZ28K. I like the panasonic because its about $130 cheaper than the G10. And the d40 base model is only about $20 more than the g10. So these are the three I have narrowed it down too. Am I on the right track. Again this is used pretty much for just taking tank shots. and not used often. I just want one that works the way I need it too. Thanks Mojo~

mojo~
12/27/2008, 11:37 AM
I would like to order one of these today. I am leaning towards the pani simply on cost and it comes with what appears to me a good # of features. Thanks in advance. Mojo~

mojo~
12/27/2008, 12:57 PM
well i guess i ll have to wait for all the phot guru's to come on. Thanks.

BlueCorn
12/27/2008, 01:10 PM
The D40 would be the best out of that bunch but with a pretty serious caveat. It's a DSLR. To get maximum benefit from it you'd need to spend additional money on a macro lens. ~ another $500

Between the other two I'd choose the G10, primarily because I have a strong Canon bias, but also because I like the control layout better. Your best best would be to go to a local store and check them out in person. If it's not intuitive, and comfortable to use you'll never like it.

mojo~
12/27/2008, 06:45 PM
I was afraid thats what you are going to say. lol. I like the dslr factor but I dont want to spend another 500 on a lens. She will not be happy with the purchase as it is let alone another $500. I ll probably order from newegg as thats where I have a credit for some computer stuff I had to return. Yea I will have to take a look at the two.I will use this thing about once a month. If that. So its alot of money to be sitting around. I ll probably go with the g10 or the panisonic.

nickb
12/27/2008, 07:05 PM
The G10 got a lukewarm review at 'dpreview'. Here is part of their comments:
Around the same price of the G10 you could get a Canon Rebel XS (1000D), a Sony A200 or a Nikon D40. Any of these would give the user better image quality, better ISO performance, and the flexibility that a DSLR brings. With pressures from both sides, Canon really had to hit a home run with the G10, and in the image quality department it rounded second, maybe even a standup third, but just could not quite get to home plate.
The Panasonic is a lot cheaper (around $260 at B&H) and has got quite good reviews as a super-zoom intro level camera. If price is a concern, that might be a good one to consider.

mojo~
12/27/2008, 07:25 PM
do you think it will do what I want. I just cant take a picture with my fuji. I have played with everything there is to play with and cant get tehm to now be blue. There is no white balance or anything. I bought it not knowing what I Was getting and well before I was on here. I have watching reviews all night lol on these two. MY fuji will be good for anything other than aquarium pics. Ill probably give it to my daughter. I dont mind spending a little more to get what I need. I just dont need the extra frills. I am not a photo guy by any means. I like technology and can learn about anything. Just havent taken the time out for photography. MY ex wife was a photographer and I just didnt want to call her and ask..... lol

BlueCorn
12/27/2008, 07:45 PM
I don't have an issue with the G10 getting "luke warm" reviews. They're pitting it against a bunch of DSLRs.

mojo~
12/27/2008, 07:59 PM
yea I have been looking alot @ those two. I only read one bad review on the pani but it said it had a hard time focusing on moving objects. He seemed pretty informed. hmm I have looked at every digi camera from where I am going to order and keep coming back to these two. one olypmus didnt look too bad. I just want to take a nice clear pic that doesnt look blue and washed out. My s700 just isnt it. I thank you all for the input. If you all think the G10 is better for the extra $120 I ll get it. I just dont want to be disappointed. Thank you much for all the help. Is there any other camera to consider or is this it. I ll get it ordered tonight most likely. Thanks again Mojo~

BlueCorn
12/27/2008, 08:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14023544#post14023544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Your best best would be to go to a local store and check them out in person. If it's not intuitive, and comfortable to use you'll never like it.

Either will take good pictures when used properly.

mojo~
12/27/2008, 08:12 PM
what do you think about the olympus 1030 sw? thats the only other one that looks popular. I am leaning more towards the g10. Thanks again everyone and beerguy. I was reading reviews on newegg and watching them all over the net.

nickb
12/27/2008, 10:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14025607#post14025607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
I don't have an issue with the G10 getting "luke warm" reviews. They're pitting it against a bunch of DSLRs. Actually, when you read the whole review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/), the primary comparison was against the G9 and other 'high end' P&S cameras (Panasonic LX3 and Nikon P6000) - I just quoted a part which mentioned dSLRs at a similar price point. Their main beef was with poor IQ at other than base ISO settings (above 200). They also suggested that Canon had 'hiked' the megapixels at the expense of overall IQ. My comment was that, from a price/performance perspective where price is important, there may be better choices than the G10.

mojo~
12/27/2008, 10:07 PM
well i have the pani in my cart ready to check out with a 8 gig mem card. about 320 shipped

TitusvileSurfer
12/28/2008, 05:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14026400#post14026400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nickb
Actually, when you read the whole review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/), the primary comparison was against the G9 and other 'high end' P&S cameras (Panasonic LX3 and Nikon P6000) - I just quoted a part which mentioned dSLRs at a similar price point. Their main beef was with poor IQ at other than base ISO settings (above 200). They also suggested that Canon had 'hiked' the megapixels at the expense of overall IQ. My comment was that, from a price/performance perspective where price is important, there may be better choices than the G10.
I would take G10 over a Panasonic LX3 for shooting a reef tank. I believe its best photo would be better than the LX3's best. I would certainly take a G10 over the Nikon, as the closer matched LX3 and G10 both blew it out of the water. DPreview's main "beef" with the G10 was that the camera was improved where the G9 already excelled above all others anyway, stating Canon should have worked on other areas such as a larger sensor. None of these cameras should be used over 200 ISO. I wouldn't ever use any over them above 400. That is just how this class of camera works, and one of its many limitations when compared to a DSLR. Apples to apples, the G10 is the best of the best IMO.

Make no mistake, the only category the G10 scored a "mediocre review" was when being compared to the other Canon it was replacing, not what the competitor's brought to the table.

mojo~
12/30/2008, 08:37 AM
well to be quite honest I ordered the panisonic and a 8g mem card to go with it. The card shipped and something was holding up the camera. I just got off the phone with newegg and canceled the camera order. As soon as I get credited back I will order the G10. It like they were asking me "are you sure this is the one you want?" lol. So more than likely later today i ll have a g10 coming my way. I just dont want to have to buy another camera and just be dissapointed that it wont take the pictures I want. Thank you all for the help. I did read it was a little dissapointing to some as the G9 was such a great camera and this one is as well. Some just expected greater leaps and bounds over the g9. I believe that is what I read.
Thanks again, Mojo~

TitusvileSurfer
12/30/2008, 02:01 PM
Hurray! I think you will be very pleased and I wish you many happy photographic adventures.

nickb
12/30/2008, 02:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14041429#post14041429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo46825
It like they were asking me "are you sure this is the one you want?" lol. There 'hesitation' couldn't have anything to do with the higher cost (and likely higher profits) from the G10, could it? :eek1:

Hope you enjoy the new camera. When you get some good photos, post them up so we can see the results.

TitusvileSurfer
12/30/2008, 02:50 PM
No I don't think it could have. I think he meant that he wasn't very confident to begin with and now he had a 2nd chance to think about what he really wanted. I don't think who he was buying the camera from had much of anything to do with it other than incompetence.

mojo~
12/30/2008, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14043632#post14043632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitusvileSurfer
No I don't think it could have. I think he meant that he wasn't very confident to begin with and now he had a 2nd chance to think about what he really wanted. I don't think who he was buying the camera from had much of anything to do with it other than incompetence.
yea I order a ton from newegg and for them to not ship something right away was kinda odd. MY mem card shipped first thing but the camera didnt. They would have no idea what one I was going to buy. lol. I just called them becuase it hadnt shipped. Asked if it was too late to cancel she said no, I said yes and we made a country song. lol. end of story. So i havent checked yet but ill order the g10 here tonight or tomorrow. I am holding all responsible for all the problems I have. lol JK thank you all for the help.