PDA

View Full Version : stocking 125g

jadeguppy
12/27/2008, 03:48 PM
It is a standard 6' 125g. I currently have a pair of occ. clowns, sailfin tang, royal gramma, peppermint shrimp, a flame angel, and soon a green mandarine. It is a mixed reef (fingers crosssed on angel). I'm thinking about something like a lawnmower blenny, but with more color, maybe some anthis, blue hippo tang. I prefer several smaller fish to one or two big ones and want to actually be able to see them. Any suggestions?

Ncastro1981
12/27/2008, 04:16 PM
I am interested in what people suggest here. I would be carefull about adding too many large fish as they will get bigger and may eventually out grow your tank. How much LR do you have, sump w/refrig? I would think about doing one esp. if you are going with a manderin. just my opinion

jadeguppy
12/27/2008, 06:34 PM
Yes, I have a sump. At the moment it has live rock and sand dollar pieces in it. The cheato is actually in the tank. Other than I'm nearly positive I have over 125 lbs. of rock in the display, I don't know the exact pounds. I hope to design a new sump and work in a large fuge. I am very pro-fuge. I kept a mandarine in a 40g that was tied to another 40g and a fuge and she was fat and growing. That was until I started moving stuff around and didn't notice she went carpet surfing. I am also trying to avoid picking too many fish that will compete with a mandarin for food.

I mentioned smaller fish to avoid the outgrowing the tank problem you mention. Although I'd love to upgrade in a few years, I do want to stay married. ;)

Ncastro1981
12/27/2008, 08:16 PM
hahaha, wife's never like competition. good luck. I thought i was going to get hell today when i dopped 250 bucks on 4 new pieces of coral... lol

jadeguppy
12/28/2008, 10:06 AM
I'm the wife. ;) You must mean husbands never like the competition!

Ncastro1981
12/28/2008, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14028386#post14028386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jadeguppy
I'm the wife. ;) You must mean husbands never like the competition!

lol. Too funny. Maybe my wife will grow into it.... and the same with your husband.. but my wife likes BCBG and such. shoes and dress's....

jadeguppy
12/28/2008, 05:47 PM
I know of very few reefers that both the husband and wife are big into the reef. Those are usually broke!

Dante_JoseCuerv
12/29/2008, 01:20 AM
Hmmm, if you want something like a LM blenny only with more color, why not check out one of these guys?

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-1610

They've even got a vid!

Although, for now, I'd focus on getting the tank properly established, you could do a small tang in there, that would be nice. Anthias are def a good choice, just make sure the rockwork lets them swim around a bit.

As for a blue hippo tang, get a small school of chromis, and maybe a TINY blue hippo, it'll probably end up swimming with the chromis (for some reason they just like to, maybe they think they're chromis?) and it'll take a while for it to outgrow your tank.

jadeguppy
12/29/2008, 09:17 AM
Nice pic. Thanks for the suggestion. No worries on the tank being established. I kept the rock live from when the tank was torn down (bought used) and also used rock from my established tank. That was months before I moved any fish to it. It has been up and running since the start of August.

Dante_JoseCuerv
12/29/2008, 10:42 AM
Ok cool, just making sure, because even if everything is already properly established it's still a good idea to have patience.

Well, keep us posted on what else you're thinking about putting in there. There's plenty of people here who are willing to give feedback on fish/invert selection and whatnot to make sure your tank is AWESOME