PDA

View Full Version : The Tail of The Fish That Doesn't Know How to Swim..[Video] and WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT

PVChick12
12/27/2008, 05:06 PM
So there is a whole thread documenting this little fishes journey. Long story short, this is a fish that arrived at my door step freezing cold, almost dead about 10 days ago...I acclimated him normally into the DT, and then he disappeared into the rocks for about a week. I'd spot him every now and then, and just let him be...WELL He has now reappeared and is swimming about the tank, but something is just not right! What should I do??? Can he live like this?

Watch this video...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/PVChick12/th_Dec272008-VID00034.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/PVChick12/?action=view&current=Dec272008-VID00034.flv)

Any ideas...???

xJake
12/27/2008, 05:18 PM
He should be able to recover, and he may just be stunned from exposure to harsh conditions or even, possibly, trauma from shipping. Most likely he sustained some type of damage or trauma to his swim bladder and can't properly regulate his buoyancy to maintain stability while underwater.

I would monitor him for the next few days, and make sure he gets fed. If he's not hiding anymore then that's usually a sign that he's recovering. He doesn't look to be in too bad of shape, so there's definitely a good chance that he will do just fine. You should consider moving him to a separate tank (using water from the DT in order to prevent any stress due to acclimation) in order to monitor him more closely. There's a possibility of swim-bladder infection, and you can treat this by feeding foods specially medicated with antibiotics; however, this doesn't seem to be the case and should only be treated for if you detect further signs of bacterial infection (sores, puss, inflammation, red/streaky fins, etc.).

If his condition deteriorates to the point where he's emaciated, laying on his side, anorexic and is showing signs of labored breathing then, unfortunately, you may need to consider euthanasia.

If you do reach this unfortunate situation then you should see this article (http://www.mchportal.com/mch-land-mainmenu-65/48-health/93-fish-health-fish-disease-anesthesia-anaesthesia-euthanasia-sedation.html?tmpl=component&print=1&page=) for further information on possible procedures.

dalston
12/27/2008, 05:21 PM
Weird, it's like its lost the use of its tail...is it eating ok?

reefergeorge
12/27/2008, 05:24 PM
He is beautiful, and I hope he makes a full recovery. Be happy you don't have aggressive tank mates.

Sk8r
12/27/2008, 05:28 PM
If he's got an air bubble, it may resorb/get absorbed eventually. If it's something else, no telling, but not a good prognosis in the case of actual nerve damage, etc. Wrasses do swim somewhat like that, but he's not able to get his head down enough for normal swimming...which is why I suspect an air bubble.

PVChick12
12/27/2008, 05:39 PM
Thank you for all the interesting responses, I guess only time will tell...

And as for eating, he is TRYING...He gets a few flakes/pieces of mysis that he can, but because he can't swim very well its very hard for him, so I am targeting him as best as I can as of now...

eros
12/27/2008, 06:01 PM
Beautiful fish. What kind of Wrasse is that?

xJake
12/27/2008, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14024936#post14024936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
Beautiful fish. What kind of Wrasse is that?

Cirrhilabrus scottorum (?)

PVChick12
12/27/2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks, and xJake is correct, Cirrhilabrus scottorum, common name is Scott's Fairy Wrasse. :) This one in particular is the Cook Islands variety. Coloration varies between the Cook Islands, Australia and Fiji varieties.

WaterKeeper
12/27/2008, 06:50 PM
:lol:

PV's running a double feature tonight. :D

PVChick12
12/27/2008, 06:53 PM
WELL sorry but no one was reading the other thread! (Except you, Waterkeeper) Don't blame them really, If I see a post with 50+ responses I generally move along and figure all issues have been addressed, and this is new business here!! lol

Crustman
12/27/2008, 08:05 PM
If you could isolate it with a in-tank refugium, this might be better. I don't think the Coral Beauty likes him limping like that. I have a net box hang in refugium. This would work for you.

PVChick12
12/28/2008, 02:22 AM
Well wouldn't the point be so that the medication wouldn't be in the same water as the DT? I think I've heard Tetracycline is "reef safe" but I think I'd still rather not have it in there if its avoidable...

nmbeg
12/28/2008, 03:26 AM
i have never seen a fish with a bladder problem... so I don't know what that looks like....

but I am a doctor (a human doctor) and when people lose the use of their legs we consider it a neurological problem.... stroke or spinal cord injury with paralysis.

that's what this looks like to me. He's just not using his tail at all... not even a flap.

Then again, people don't have swim bladders, so what the hell do I know?

Can we get an MRI on him you think? :)

Lewy
12/28/2008, 04:41 AM
I had this happen to an Exquisite Wrasse. Had him for 3 weeks and he was fine. One day he started to swim strange like yours.

It is almost as though he had a stroke or something. Left him for a few days and he didn't get better. He tried to eat and just couldn't get any food.

Maybe it is a wrasse thing?

So in the end I euthanised him. :-(

nmbeg
12/28/2008, 05:15 AM
yeah, i re-watched the video and he looks like he's struggling and suffering.... and some of the others were picking on him.... seems cruel to keep him in the DT... maybe the QT is a better place for him until he recovers or...... doesn't :(

WaterKeeper
12/28/2008, 07:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14027653#post14027653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nmbeg
i have never seen a fish with a bladder problem... so I don't know what that looks like....

Then again, people don't have swim bladders, so what the hell do I know?

Can we get an MRI on him you think? :)
:lol:

I don't know if his health care plan pays for that. ;)

Swim bladder disease has been a term used in the tropical fish hobby for years and is generally applied to fish have orientation problems while swimming. It was originally suggested that the cause of this behavior was air pockets swelling the fish's swim bladder and making its buoyancy unstable. It is doubtful if this is the case but the term is still used.

In this case it could indeed be a traumatic spine injury incurred during shipment.

PVChick12
12/28/2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, in the video the coral beauty did kind of push him or whatever he does, but that was the first/only time I had seen anything happen, he's really not getting his butt kicked in there. I'm not that cruel to let that happen, the tank mates are really docile. He's not looking as good today though...he's sitting on the bottom...upside down...SIGH. I'll set up a QT later today....

DevilBoy
12/29/2008, 12:10 PM
i have been reading your thread. If it was me, i would send that video to DFS and show them that this fish is not doing well. Maybe they could help you out with the situation.

Bernie21
12/29/2008, 12:25 PM
I agree, send this video to who ever shipped you the fish, maybe they can help you out, or atleast refund you or something, GL because that is a very nice fish!!

PVChick12
12/30/2008, 11:50 AM
Sent the video to Drs F&S and they immediately offered a credit for the cost of the fish, and then after asking for it, covered the cost of shipping as well, so I have like a $100 credit with them...which is useful because I found the wrasse dead this morning after a two weeks to the day struggle. :( Haven't decided if I will get another Scott's Fairy or something else, but either way I'm going to wait until after the new year to order it to avoid any other shipping mishaps....

Bernie21
12/30/2008, 12:27 PM
Im sorry to hear he didnt make it!! DF&S are good at customer service, there's a few onlin companies that are really good. Glad it worked out for you though. Gl on the next one & keep us posted.

WaterKeeper
12/30/2008, 01:33 PM
Sorry about the fish too PV but I was doubtful it could be saved after you first posted the video. You gave it a good try and that counts a lot. :thumbsup:

PVChick12
12/30/2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys... :( Yeah, I tried my best but this was just over my head...Thanks for the credit for trying anyways :)

jeffnsa
12/31/2008, 06:07 AM
i saw a scotts fairy wrasse at a fish store yesterday and it was doing the same thing.