PDA

View Full Version : damsels as cleanup crew?

JLF
12/27/2008, 05:31 PM
Does anyone out there with aggressive tanks ever use damsels as a cleanup crew? My hermits are starting to dwindle and I was trying to think of other options. If you have did you run into any issues? Thanks

saltyguy51
12/27/2008, 05:36 PM
I had 3 damsels in my 150 and they became very teritorial and mean going after large fish so they had to go. What are they going to clean up?

Recty
12/27/2008, 05:54 PM
I had 6 damsels as a clean up crew, they lasted about 5 days... my hermits last much longer.

So no, I dont use damsels. IMO, using fish as a clean up crew is bad because they are contributing to the bioload of the tank a lot more than 10-15 hermits is going to.

JLF
12/27/2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah I tried adding more hermits at night and that did not work out so well. I thought I would try a couple of damsels to eat scrap food and what not. Recty did you ever have issues of the damsels trying to be territorial? Thanks

Recty
12/27/2008, 06:49 PM
Nah, the ones I added were an inch to an inch and a half, nothing too huge and they didnt last long enough to get territorial, my triggers ate them in under a week.

danorth
12/27/2008, 07:25 PM
My 2 damsels clean up for me. My other fish shred the meat, and the pieces the big fish won't go for get sucked down by the 2 blue dudes.

Eklikewhoa
12/28/2008, 08:36 AM
I have damsels in my tank to help minimize waste too...

I stick to the yellowtails.

Alton Chen
12/30/2008, 09:55 PM
on December 15, 2008 i purchased new livestock for my 80 gallon fish tank. 4 yellow tail damsels, 3 turbo snail, 10 hermit crabs, and 1 emerald crab. along went couple of days ive noticed my other 2 domino damsel's and 2 female blue devil damsel were picking at the yellow tail damsels a week later i noticed that 4 of my yellow tail damsels were missing, i figure they were just hiding behind the live rock. about 3 weeks later they stopped appearing. Does anybody no what happen to my yellow tail damsels? had they been eaten by my other fishes?

ladyshark
12/30/2008, 10:12 PM
I have two-striped damsels--very quick to eat scraps and very entertaining to watch. I also have two chromis, but I don't have significantly aggressive fish at this point so they do ok.

ladyshark
12/30/2008, 10:13 PM
PS, I have a zebra eel so no chance that snails or crabs as CUC would last

Alton Chen
12/31/2008, 05:05 PM
Well i learned my lesson now. i bought to many fish at one time. how big is your eel? and how big is your tank. are chromis the domino damsels? talk to ya later

LisaD
12/31/2008, 05:16 PM
on December 15, 2008 i purchased new livestock for my 80 gallon fish tank. 4 yellow tail damsels, 3 turbo snail, 10 hermit crabs, and 1 emerald crab. along went couple of days ive noticed my other 2 domino damsel's and 2 female blue devil damsel were picking at the yellow tail damsels a week later i noticed that 4 of my yellow tail damsels were missing, i figure they were just hiding behind the live rock. about 3 weeks later they stopped appearing. Does anybody no what happen to my yellow tail damsels? had they been eaten by my other fishes?

that's a lot of damsels, almost guaranteed to be war in your tank. I wouldn't put more than one or two of the most passive damsels in that tank.