PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day!!

blface
12/27/2008, 08:17 PM
What a horrible day I had today. It started w/ checking on my sick fish in the qt today & finding my male bluethroat dead. I noticed the rest of the fish were breathing extremely heavy. I had to go to work so I added an extra airstone & prayed they would make it until I came home. When I was leaving work I was informed by the owner I was being laid off. I just started this job about 6 weeks ago after being laid off for almost 6 months. On the plus side the fish seemed to be acting better. I then made a trip out to my LFS to purchase a Seachem copper test kit to monitor the levels in the qt because the one I was using was almost gone. When I got home I tested the copper level & it showed 0. The new kit was alot different then the one I was using. The first one was given to me used for free from my LFS. It must of been expired but there wasn't an experation date on it. I noticed that the fish were breathing really hard again so I decided to change some water before adding more copper. While changing the water I forgot to unplug the heater. I started to smell something burning. As I was unpluging the heater it lowered into the tank & exploded. I was lucky I didn't lose any fish. Now my qt has only a really small heater & I can't afford to buy a new one. I redosed the copper & shut off all of the lights. I'm keeping my fingers crossed & praying I don't have a total disaster in the mourning. Thanks for reading my rant & I just needed to vent.:sad2:

flameangel88
12/27/2008, 09:07 PM
blface,

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would try to post this in your local reef club and I'm sure some fellow reefers have some extra equipments to lend till you are back on your feet.

Part of my job deal with job placement and the past 5 months has been brutal. So it may take sometime to find the right job again. I've loan out stuff in the past and also have received a few freebies.

Best of luck!

Kevin

Recty
12/28/2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, that sucks dude.

predator 1
12/28/2008, 01:32 AM
That realy was a bad day for you mate, I dont blame you for having a rant, it sounds like something from a movie!!!!
Those problems will be put right eventually, and above all, you have your health and that is all that matters.

blface
12/28/2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the support. As of today I don't have any more losses. I ended up using the heater from my 220 for the qt. I guess the dart on the 220 puts out more heat than I thought. It only dropped the temp 2 degree's to 76.

flameangel88
12/28/2008, 08:39 PM
Glad to hear that.

baldomero
12/29/2008, 11:31 AM
now thats a bad day hope your fish get better and u find a good job good luck