PDA

View Full Version : MRC Ocean Force 300 Protein Skimmer

Buganddoug
12/27/2008, 09:44 PM
Hi I have a 180 gallon reef tank and looking to replace my MRC-2 skimmer and would like to know if any has used or seen this skimmer in action MRC Ocean Force 300 Protein Skimmer?
http://www.myreefcreations.com/product_info.php?products_id=346

connecticut cichlids
12/27/2008, 10:29 PM
I too am looking at these skimmers.. Can't find too many people using them yet

redmarble
12/28/2008, 04:26 AM
Check these sites out:

http://www.rasoc.org/forums/printthread.php?&t=9659

and

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19852

Paulairduck
12/28/2008, 07:42 AM
They look promising

Buganddoug
12/28/2008, 08:34 AM
I hope it is better than My MRC-2. I do not like my MRC-2 so I have been looking for a new skimmer.

Harleyguy
05/24/2009, 12:00 PM
I used to have the MR-2r (recirculating) and hated it... It overflowed a lot and I never could get it to produce the skimmate I was looking for... That however was a couple of years ago... I can tell you this MRC has gone through some serious changes in the last 2 years... FOR THE BETTER... They used to have a good reputation and I foresee a future when we hear a lot more about MRC... I'm fortunate enough to live within an hour of them and go see them from time to time... They are building some commercial skimmers that are crazy and extremely well built... I was so impressed the last time I went down there that I bought an Oceanforce 200 for my new 93 gallon tank and a 30" reef sump... I haven't had the chance to hook up the skimmer yet because my stand is still being built for the tank... But I will be using it to cure some rock starting tomorrow... I'll take some detailed pictures of the skimmed and give a comprehensive review starting later on today...

Stay tuned...

connecticut cichlids
05/24/2009, 02:09 PM
Looking forward to the review

AcroporAddict
05/24/2009, 03:26 PM
The ocean force skimmers remind me a lot of the shape of the BK Mini series.

GSMguy
05/24/2009, 03:52 PM
here is a nice report that shows that it is not exactly an easy to use skimmer, twist neck that can crack and a poorly designed venturi are bad signs, IMO

Been up and running for some time now and everything seems to be working nicely. Only problem I ran into so far which has happened on other skimmers I have had is a plug up at the air inlet. The inlet is so small that calcium, etc. built up there and the air flow was cut off over a few days. Quick reem out fixed that for now. I did twist the skimmate cup down a tad too much and cracked the black locking ring slightly also but not enough to affect the seal at all.

Anyway, pretty happy with this one and we'll let her run.

if you are wondering about the pump

[QUOTE
I don't know much about the pump's quality but I believe it to be relative cheap! It is from SeaLine, the 6540. Rated at 760 gph, 100w.

Here is a link to some info on it:
[/QUOTE]

it looks ok but, for the money the extremes continue to hold the bang for buck title.