PDA

View Full Version : which eel???????

abarrera
12/27/2008, 10:57 PM
I have recently acquired a 55gal drilled tank was wanting to know if I was to put a Jeweled Moray Eel (Muraena lentiginosa) as the only occupant would that work? if not im open to other possible eel's or if i should just not bother with it only being a 55

saltyguy51
12/28/2008, 07:41 AM
Eels dont need to move around a whole lot but do produce a fair amount of waste and I dont know how big it will get or how big it is now but it should be ok in there for a while but keep your water quality good

abarrera
12/28/2008, 12:05 PM
just have the empty tank and a sump. From what i've read on them they only get 24'-28'. Think liveaquaria has them. It would be the only thing in the tank. If it wont work I'm just gonna keep setting up my 75aga I just happened across this free tank and thought it would be awsome to have an eel

S4lt Lif3
12/28/2008, 06:46 PM
I bought a jeweled moray today actually to add to my 75g with a chain link moray and a spotted moray. he is 1 1/2 feet but they are thick eels. the jeweled doesnt seem to be to aggresive just curious and is pretty calm so far.. I bought it as a Mexican dragon moray but it is also known as the jeweled moray.

saltyguy51
12/28/2008, 07:47 PM
It would be alright in there then as long as it isnt a 4' eel and they sure are interesting fish, I had a "fresh water moray" once, a black edge (pretty aggressive) and 2 Hawian white mouths but the bigger one got to mean towards the other so now I have the one which is around 20" and is a good tank member up to this point.

95Harley
12/29/2008, 10:57 AM
My only concern is the width of the tank. A think a 55" is only 12" wide and that eel gets around 2' (if memory serves me correct).

I have a 30" DME in a 75g which is 18" wide and he is happy and comfortable. Just make sure you structure his caves so he can comfortably move around the tanks.

abarrera
12/30/2008, 06:48 AM
Cool! I'm gonna do some more research on them before i just jump in to eel keeping, i get super nervous when it comes to keeping new creatures. Is there any live saltwater feeder fish?? if anyone has pics of how there caves or tanks are setup for eels I would greatly appreciate a link or to see them.

Thank you for all your responses!

Antonio

95Harley
12/30/2008, 03:21 PM
Here is my 75g DME tank, gives you an idea to his caves and activity. But he is more active than most eels I have kept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMVVAPam_zo

abarrera
12/30/2008, 03:30 PM
sweet video and thanks! I def see what you are talking about with caves. and your eel is amazing!