PDA

View Full Version : How to remove coral of rocks...

JazzZero
12/28/2008, 09:36 AM
Ok here is my situation i currently have a 29G BC and im going to get a 30G finnex and i need to transfer the corals. Ok here's the problem, i have Xenia growing on the back (not on rocks) and i have some mushrooms growing on several rocks and i want to get them all on one rock. So what tools can i use to get them off.

P.S i dont got a diamond cutter blade or any hardware or tools such as that.

I need tools that are small...

Thx

Timanator
12/28/2008, 10:37 AM
Why do the tools have to be small? If you have to pull the rocks out of the water for the move, you can use a hammer and screw driver to break off the sections you need and then just epoxy it to a new rock.

:)

quaz
12/28/2008, 06:08 PM
Dido on what Timanator said. Use the marine epoxy that is sold at most fish stores the two part epoxy puddy. There is green and gray. The green turns white when mixed and the gray stays gray to keep a more natural rock color.

For the xenia; use a razor blade to scrape them off the glass and then rubber band them to rocks you wish them to be on. That is if they are the longer brown xenia and not the smaller pinkish pom-pom xenia. If it is pom pom xenia you'll need to place them in a rubble dish to get them to attach by them self.

JazzZero
12/28/2008, 10:27 PM
lol wasnt expecting the screw driver thing but will that damage the coral? and yes quaz it is the pom pom type

danferd2002
12/28/2008, 10:36 PM
Your not taking the coral off the rock, your taking a small piece of rock with the coral on it. So you never actually touch the coral.

Timanator
12/29/2008, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032635#post14032635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danferd2002
Your not taking the coral off the rock, your taking a small piece of rock with the coral on it. So you never actually touch the coral.

Exactly, Your chipping the section with the corals off the rock.

emm0909
12/29/2008, 01:16 PM
+1 on the above advice. I acutally use some small wood chisels. Chisels creat a much more precise chip but be carefule. You'll hack right through the rock if you're not careful. Don't get too nervous about doing this. If a mushroom can withstand a blender it can take a chisel wound (if incorrectly chipped).
I wouldn't worry about the Xenia either. I cut a little pimk pom pom one up and sandwiched it between a couple rocks and all the pieces lived. Good luck and don't be scared.

JazzZero
12/29/2008, 02:36 PM
lol thx guys hopefully i wont flinch... on a side not how can i cut a acan? lol

Plankt0s
12/29/2008, 11:11 PM
I have scraped them off with a butter knife before, that seems to work well in the absence of a chisel. Like mentioned before Xenia and the shrooms are extremely resilient.

jaeon10
12/30/2008, 01:25 AM
do your self a favor and but a dermal tool with a diamond cutter blade you can get one and a blade for about 40$ coral keeps growing so you will need it again and again i don't know what i did before i got mine