PDA

View Full Version : New User Question

Michael_B767ATP
12/28/2008, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I just setup a 75 Gallon Oceanic reef and I have the following.

1. Aquac C Protein Skimmer with Mag3 pump

2. BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor with Carbon & ROWAphos

3. Midwest Aquatic Sulfur DeNITRIFIER

4. EHEIM 2217 Canister Filter

5. 150 lbs. Tampa Bay Saltwater liverock

6. Arctica Chiller Set At 78 Degrees

7. 2-250W Visi-Therm Stealth Heaters

8. Coralife Lunar Aqualight Lighting System

9. Maxijet 1200

--------------------
A few questions
--------------------

1. Am I missing anything?

2. Will proficiency be reduced with the way I have the Aquac C setup?. The pump is run inline below the tank. I do not like the pump in the tank, looks tacky. Here is a snapshot of the Aquac C setup.

http://www.rmfc.us/photos/skimmer1.jpg

http://www.rmfc.us/photos/skimmer2.jpg

3. Whats the best phosphate remover (Ex. ROWAphos)?. I do not care about price.

4. What do you think about the Hana HI 83200-01 2008 - Laboratory Bench Meter?. Is this all I need to do all my testing?.

Thanks

RobNJ
12/28/2008, 02:18 PM
Everything looks great, not sure why you are running a Denitrator unless you have a nitrate problem. With that much live rock you should be fine. If you have no nitrates to feed the bacteria that Denitrator is gunna start to smell. You should add some more flow, one maxijet really is not sufficient in a 75g reef tank.

Michael
12/28/2008, 03:54 PM
well you have 10 years experience so theres no need to say anything mike except
[welcome]

Michael_B767ATP
12/30/2008, 12:33 AM
Hi,

Most of my 10 years have been with freshwater fish. I ran a saltwater tank (FOWLR) for about 1.5 years. This is my first attempt at a reef tank.

Anyone know if I will see a loss in proficiency with the Aquac C setup shown above?

Could still use some info about the best phosphate remover, right now I'm using ROWAphos.

Also, can anyone help with the following, Hana HI 83200-01 2008 - Laboratory Bench Meter. If I purchase this, will it take care of all my testing needs?. I think it will, but I may have missed something.

Thanks everyone
Mike

Playa-1
12/30/2008, 12:54 AM
As opposed to setting the Chiller at 78, I would suggest you research it a little more and consider allowing the temp to swing a bit more. Maybe something like having one heater kick on at 77, the other one kick on at 76 , and then set the chiller to kick on at about 85. So the water temp could swing between 78 to 84 without being manipulated (Unless of coarse the livestock your keeping would require a different temp range) A Fan across the top of the tank and/or sump is a way to cool the system off without it costing you an arm and a leg. Maybe set it up so that the fan comes on with the DT lights to disperse the heat.

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 01:47 AM
Did you up size the pump feeding the skimmer? I would sugest that you do since the mag pumps that come with the remora skimmers are not sized to pump water from the sump just from the tank.

Michael_B767ATP
01/01/2009, 05:13 PM
Hi,

According to the specs the skimmer should be circulating about 270 GPH. Is that sufficient for a 75 Gallon Reef tank?.

Pump Performance
Gallons Per Hour (GPH) represents the maximum amount of water your pump is capable of pushing at a given Head Height. To ensure the pump's best possible performance, reduce frictional losses by using the largest diameter hose possible.

Head Height (in feet) Gallons per Hour
-----------------------------------------------------
0' 480
1' 405
3' 335
5' 270
7' 170

Thanks Everyone
Mike