PDA

View Full Version : Tank Stand Question

METZCOOL
12/28/2008, 02:01 PM
Hi All,
I built a stand for a new 265 gallon glass tank and the tank sets on the stand level front to back and side to side. The stand sets on hardwood floors with no gaps between the stand and floor and setup doesn't wobble.
Where the tank sets on the stand there is a 1/8" gap on the back in the center and tapers of as you go to each corner. All four corners are flush. I talked to Perfecto and they tell me not to put foam under the tank and suggest to buy one of there stands.
I looked at one of there 265 stands at the LFS and the tank is only supported on the ends and a 1X4 laying sideways in the middle that the tank sits on. The LFS said to fill tank 1/4 of the way full and plastic shim in the middle of the tank whatever remains of the 1/8" gap and fill up rest of the way up.
The oldtimer at the LFS said years ago saltwater tanks were sit in between cinderblocks with no support in the middle with no problems.
Will this work or any suggestions or am I being overly concerned?

METZCOOL
12/28/2008, 04:25 PM
bump

METZCOOL
12/29/2008, 09:27 PM
Someone?

Darkstar22
12/29/2008, 09:38 PM
The do it yourself forum has excellent plans for making stands.

liquidlunch
12/29/2008, 09:39 PM
Based on the info provided, it sounds like the 2x4 on the back is slightly bowed up on both ends which is what gave you that 1/8"gap. You can add 2x4 or 4x4 vertical supports that should make the back and front level from side to side. Any pix? I would have added these supports even if you didn't have gaps. This isn't a 20gal long so I would definitely make sure you're building on a nice level foundation before you add $5k+ worth of animals:bum:

METZCOOL
12/29/2008, 09:48 PM
I have the stand liquid nailed and screwed together already:(
Would this stuff work as a filler to fill the gap?

https://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=40

Kenmx10
12/29/2008, 09:56 PM
I agree. 2x4 wood usually have a crown in them. If you can, take the wood member out and turn it the other way, with the crown up instead of down. This should flatten out the as you fill the water in the tank. Or you could place something lond and flat on top of the stand ( like a piece of metal I-beam or a level with some weight till it lays flat (level). Then you could take a piece of metal that has been pre drilled with holes. ( you can get from HomeDepot) Screw it into the 2x4. When you remove the weight from top, the metal keeps the wood from bowing back down in the center.

METZCOOL
12/29/2008, 10:03 PM
The stand is built out of 2x6 and is braced in the center but can not change anything as it is liquid nailed.
Will the stuff I posted the last post work?

Kenmx10
12/29/2008, 10:09 PM
With a Tank this size I would be aftraid of shims. because the wood is favorable to bend in the downward direction. Adding shims will only Cause the wood to continue to deflect even more over time. Causing stress to your tank. another option would be to add another 2x4 to the bottom of that member. Find a piece as straight as possible. Tilt the board up and screw it really good to the board that is crowned down in the middle. ( like a j or a t shape) This is called a strongback and adds strength to the board above and straightens it up. I believe most all stands are built this way . If you dont have one. The width of the tank is only supported at the legs .

Kenmx10
12/29/2008, 10:17 PM
NoT in my opinion with a tank that size. The wood naturally wants to deflect and can continue in this direction. (with this amount of weight, It will coninue. Shims are not going to strenghten the wood. When building a house you alway put the crown up so the board flatens out when load is added. Ive repaired lots of home because of this same problem. You really need a strongback under the rails of your tank. It should be a fairly easy thing to do.
http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling/CirrusLT/Strongback2.jpg

r-balljunkie
12/29/2008, 10:23 PM
have you considered foam inbetween?

might help a bit. not a fix, but i would sleep better if it were my setup.
c