PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Setup

MrsHaggis
12/28/2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have read many, many threads about setting up a quarantine tank and how important it is.

I have an empty (quite small - about 8 Gallons) fish tank which I would like to turn into my quarantine tank. I will be buying fish one by one and only have a 16 Gallon aquarium so all of the fish I buy will be very small so I guess 8 Gallons would be big enough??

So onto my questions:

1. I don't have a second marine filter so can I just use a different (cheaper) type of filter. The marine filters here cost 200€ (about 280 USD).

2. Lighting - I have a lighting system on there but it is also not marine - it was setup for tropicals. Do I need to change it? I won't be having corals in there (unless I need to quarantine them??).

3. Do I need to add any live rock in there for the quarantine period?

4. How long do the fish need to stay in the quarantine tank?

4. Anything special I need to do.....I have never setup a quarantine tank and until I read the threads here had never thought about it either.

I'd like to setup the cheapest tank possible as I have already spent a small fortune on the display tank (as I'm sure you can all imagine)....

Thanks for all your help here.

LoyalConvict
12/28/2008, 07:10 PM
1. get a regular hang on back filter and putt in some de-nitrate and have it running preferably a month before you add fish and sprinkle in some flake food every so often. also try to get one that has 2 chambers so if need be you can change half the media then a few weeks later change the other half

2. any light will work unless its really red/pink as it will encourage algae to grow

3. no live rock just throw in some pvc pieces 2-3 inches

4. 4 to 6 weeks

5. change 20 % of the water weekly as you do not have a skimmer

when you change the water make sure the temp and salinity are equal to that of the quarantine tank

hopefully some one else will reply to correct me if i'm wrong about anything

Playa-1
12/28/2008, 08:14 PM
1. I don't have a second marine filter so can I just use a different (cheaper) type of filter. The marine filters here cost 200€ (about 280 USD).
I just use a cheapo $5 sponge filter. I can replace the sponge if I have to treat with harsh chemicals or if it is exposed to a nasty disease. Otherwise I wash it and reuse it. I seed the sponge in my sump for a few days before I need to use it. The bacteria colonizes the sponge and will help to process Ammonia in the QT.
My QT is set up when needed and broken down and cleaned up when not in use.

2. Lighting - I have a lighting system on there but it is also not marine - it was setup for tropicals. Do I need to change it? I won't be having corals in there (unless I need to quarantine them??).
Some people QT their corals and it is probably a good idea. To QT just the fish you don't need any special lighting. But if you decide to Qt your corals then you will need special lighting for the QT. That's a decision you will have to make for yourself.

3. Do I need to add any live rock in there for the quarantine period?
Liverock is not necessary or recommended for a QT.

4. How long do the fish need to stay in the quarantine tank?
4-6 weeks with 6 weeks being better.

4. Anything special I need to do.....I have never setup a quarantine tank and until I read the threads here had never thought about it either.
Read up on the subject. At the top of the forum the first few threads are sticky threads. The sticky threads cover Quarantine and Acclimation much better then getting a few YaY-hooz opinions :lol:, No offense to yall YaY-hooz out there :-P,

I believe the name of the thread your looking for is something like "* New-First Time on RC-Look Here for Answers " Then scroll down to where it says Quarantine and Acclimation. It's worth your time to read it.