PDA

View Full Version : Is there a temporary way to hold frags

redvicki
12/28/2008, 07:19 PM
in place on my rocks? My stupid CUC keeps relocating them. Some times it's hard to find them once they are knocked off. I don't want to glue them in place in case I want to move them later. Thanks.

LoyalConvict
12/28/2008, 07:28 PM
you can take some egg crate and zip tie's and make a box to hang on the side of your tank until they grow out and you decide where to place them... i made just a standard tray at first until my snails started to bull-doze them off (as i use LR and not plugs for frags) so took it out added sides and a hinged top

Tswifty
12/28/2008, 09:02 PM
Epoxy putty the plug... In my experience (which is why I stopped using putty) it basically just works like a suction cup, and pops off with little effort... but it would be strong enough to keep a snail from knocking them around.

redvicki
12/28/2008, 09:47 PM
Any special kind of putty? I've never used it before and want to get one that's reef safe.

Tswifty
12/28/2008, 09:54 PM
Everyone raves over Aquamend... I've always just used this stuff with no issues... found it at home depot.

Top item in pic. "Harvey's" is the brand.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/epoxy1.jpg

beachbumva
12/29/2008, 01:31 AM
the aquastick sold for putting your live rock together is the same stuff if you cant get what tswifty has shown you, as he said it comes apart with a tug and very good to use when attempting to make sure coral is going to be happy where your placing it before taking it off the block, they sell it at all the online sites and most lfs

redvicki
12/29/2008, 05:57 AM
Okay beachbumva has caused me to have another question. So when I place my frags should I be taking them off of the plugs and/or rock rubble they come on then glue them to my rock work?

Tswifty
12/29/2008, 02:57 PM
I personally do NOT like using the plugs the corals come in on... and either mount them temporarily onto a new plug or piece of rock rubble until I decide on a permanent location... but once you pick a spot for them... I like to take the frags off the plug, and mount them directly to the rock with superglue gel.

redvicki
12/29/2008, 08:39 PM
How do you get them off the plugs?

beachbumva
12/30/2008, 09:28 AM
I leave all hard corals on there discs and use the red/pink aquastick or drill or find a hole , for softs most will use an aragonite square with a flat bottom which you can either use a sharp pair of scissors to break up or a very sharp razor blade, sps is normally an aragonite disc most of the time with a small plug on the bottom for fitting into holes and such, different ways of using it, can cut off the bottom small plug and glue the disc on flat rock, can also drill a hole for placement and insert it where you want it, for softs I use a razor blade, for sps I leave them on the lug and drill a hole if its a spot where I need to and how easy it is to remove the rock without a major construction project as for me anyway there has never been a case where my rock fit exactly how and where it did before lol, really depends on how it looks and where it s tays happy d uring acclimation , have also known some people to take dremel tools to the bases to make them smaller and more unsightly, of for some reason you need a step by step let me know and I will snap a video or some pictures, have 4 new ones coming in today , one bottlebrush, one small frag of enchinata and a monti which will be on different plugs, currently also have some xenia and a small aussie duncan on 2 different other types of plugs , you tube has great vids for the different ways people frag corals and different plugs they use also.

Otto2
12/30/2008, 10:53 AM
I ended up superglueing a piece of eggcrate to an old mag float I had laying around. It's alot easier to move around to adjust for better flow and light.