PDA

View Full Version : how many of you actually use a quarantine tank

mb167204
12/28/2008, 07:30 PM
Im interested in actually knowing how many of you have one set up and if so is it possible to not use one.

jarrett
12/28/2008, 07:37 PM
sure its possible not to but when you have a few thousand dollars invested in your livestock its not worth the risk of not using one.

BrassMonkey
12/28/2008, 07:37 PM
i pour a fresh glass of ro water and throw em in for 10mins. done it to many fish and never had a death. should probly bring the temp and ph where it should be tho. good for parasites but doesnt protect agents other spreadable disease.

ReiferMadness
12/28/2008, 07:38 PM
I don't have one.

LoyalConvict
12/28/2008, 07:38 PM
yes its possible, but definitely not suggested. i have never used one but i consider myself lucky.

camero678
12/28/2008, 07:58 PM
i didnt use a qt and am wishin i did.

46FiatYamaha
12/28/2008, 08:05 PM
When I started I had one fish with ich that killed about seven in total, and after getting that cleared up, I quarantine everything now

jubjub
12/28/2008, 08:11 PM
shrug i never use one.....although i also tend to look at fish closely..... on another side note i couldnt imagine getting a fish that cost more then 50$ so honestly i wouldnt be out a ton....i know people buy like gem tangs and such but i think they be crazy a gem tang = mortgage payment for me...

one more side note i tend to buy only the hardier fish IE chromies/false percs/yellow tang/niger trigger....so....if all my live stock died i would only be out much

Pike614
12/28/2008, 08:11 PM
are you a gambler? Some are lucky most are not!

L98-Z
12/28/2008, 08:17 PM
I just started using one. My DT is still at a risk though. :(

Freed
12/28/2008, 08:17 PM
If you do a search you will find dozens of people that didn't QT and wish they did after their entire tank of fish was wiped out.

I QT and always have. I have never had ich or any other disease in the main tank but have had plenty of ich in the QT.

FritoBandito
12/28/2008, 08:21 PM
I have a 29 gallon qt, and i was actually using my 6 month old 46g bow as a qt of sorts for my yellow tang since she was too big for the 29. She loved having the space to her self for a month but now she's in my 240 having even more fun! I didn't use a qt at first and only lost one fish, but after seeing the results others have had using it and hearing from others how hard it is to deal with an ich outbreak or something like that in a reef tank, I'm very happy I have one available!

Nereaga
12/28/2008, 08:25 PM
I used to use a QT, seemed like everything would eventually die in it before long. I did maintain it with water changes and all but still had problems. I don't use one now and all is well....

I might be in the small majority that are lucky. BUT I do study the fishes I eventually buy for a week or so at the store before making a desicion on them.

Brad

Playa-1
12/28/2008, 08:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14031347#post14031347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mb167204
Im interested in actually knowing how many of you have one set up and if so is it possible to not use one.

I've got one running as we speak. It's possible to run without one , But you will only infect your DT once or twice with a nasty disease or parasite before you change your mind and start running a QT. So it's a matter of learning from other peoples experiences or learning the hard way from your own experience.

I had to learn the hard way myself. Trust me it's a nightmare when your DT gets infected. Make no mistakes about it, It will get infected If you're not using a proper Quarantine Procedure.

Now all new arrivals go thru my QT routine and my life is much easier. The less nightmares the better is my new philosophy :lol:

heyfredyourhat
12/28/2008, 09:08 PM
I use one. Found out that it is a very big PIA to catch a fish. Plus i would like my fish to be happy/healthy.

I have a tang in a QT, been there almost 8 weeks i think. I am getting ready for him to come out soon though.

patsfan1130
12/28/2008, 09:08 PM
I set mine up every time I have a new arrival. takes 15 minutes to set it up. has saved me hundreds of dollars I am sure. Probably cost me $50 toal for the equipment which includes the tank.

Freed
12/28/2008, 09:10 PM
I leave mine running 24/7 just in case the urge hits me.

Tylt33
12/28/2008, 09:11 PM
I didn't use a QT until now. I actually just set it up today. I got one fish with some kind of nasty parasite, and it's killed nine of my other fish so far. I'm not sure if it's ich and/or velvet. It looks like the remaining six fish are gonna go too. That's at least $500 worth of fish, dead in a matter of a week or so, and now I get 6+ weeks to sit and think about my mistake.

I feed my fish Rod's food, mysis shrimp, pellets, flakes, and cyclopeeze. I soak their meaty foods in Selcon, Vita-chem, and Garlic Xtreme. I have around twenty types of fish medications on hand, most of which I now realize CANNOT be used in a DT. My water quality is pretty darn good, considering I run a skimmer rated for a 400g tank on my 120g, along with two 25g refugiums dedicated solely to macro algae.

All of that said, nothing is a substitute for a QT. I got lucky for quite a long time, and finally that luck ran out. The people in this hobby that I admire the most are those that have the foresight to prevent problems before they get stung (i.e. those that have QTs without having to had to go through what I did).

blakeorme
12/28/2008, 09:13 PM
What size tank and what filter are you guys using for a quick to setup QT.

Ranchhand02
12/28/2008, 09:23 PM
I am using an old 29 gallon tank with a hang on the back filter. I used to not run one until I had a hundred dollars worht of fish die because a new fish had a disese and spred it to the rest of my tank. The money I lost would have paid for a QT, so I set one up. They have them at wal mart for $100 dollars with everything included that you need.

Freed
12/28/2008, 09:25 PM
Tylt33, sounds like your fish had velvet or similar if they all bit the dust in a week. Ich usually takes longer but still has the same outcome alot of times. Were the fish covered in a white velvety-ish slime?

Playa-1
12/28/2008, 09:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032038#post14032038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blakeorme
What size tank and what filter are you guys using for a quick to setup QT.
I use :
20gal used acrylic tank
sponge filter - seeded in sump prior to use
Koralia nano powerhead
Stealth 75 watt heater
Seachem Ammonia Alert
Thermometer
PVC fittings

reefrf
12/28/2008, 09:32 PM
IMO....you should use a QT tank. Don't follow my example. I did start with one but now I stopped. It seemed to cause more stress on the fish. I really gave up because even after having my fish in the QT tank for 8 weeks I still had Ich in my brand new DT...go figure!

I've accepted the fact that I have Ich, but as long as my fish are healthy & the water parameters are in line the fish haven't any die or even show signs of ich or other parasites. Just my two cents worth.

SaltyDr
12/28/2008, 09:40 PM
First two fish in tank I did not QT. Then I wised up. I currently have a royal gramma in QT and after about 10 days I started seeing white spots. I am now about one week into treating with copper and he is white spot free. Will treat for 4 more weeks and watch for 2 more and then he can go in to the tank. If I had watched him in the store for a week I would have been screwed. I use a 20G high with a hang on back biowheel filter and a Koralia 1 and 100W heater. I have some old base rock in there for hiding places.

Tylt33
12/28/2008, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032142#post14032142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Tylt33, sounds like your fish had velvet or similar if they all bit the dust in a week. Ich usually takes longer but still has the same outcome alot of times. Were the fish covered in a white velvety-ish slime?

I can't decide what the heck it was. It started with a single white speck that I could see on the fin of a flasher wrasse. I didn't notice the problem on other fish until about a week before the first one died. There was no scratching, the fish continued eating, etc. The only common symptom was rapid breathing; either velvet or ich attacking the gills. I've got pictures, I'm going to post them at some point and see if I can get an ID on what it was.

mb167204
12/28/2008, 10:18 PM
So when i set up my QT does it have to be running all the time. The DT is in an office building so i cant just have some tank sitting there running all the time.
so i take water from the original tank and then how often to do i have to change the water in the tank.

WaterKeeper
12/28/2008, 10:23 PM
When it comes to quarantine tanks the motto is, "Use It or Lose It" with the second It being your livestock.

Playa-1
12/28/2008, 10:35 PM
You can just set it up when you need it. Do a water change in the DT and fill up the QT with the old DT water. If you're using a seeded sponge type filter your water changes will likely be every few days of about 25-30% or you could do daily 10% if thats easier for you. Otherwise you will likely be doing larger daily water changes to keep Ammonia in line. Daily monitoring of your Ph, and Ammonia will also be required. The regular water changes should keep the Ammonia in check. The ph may need to be adjusted regularly so you will want to have that worked out before you set it up.

Macimage
12/28/2008, 10:44 PM
I use a 29 gallon qt tank setup with live rock, heater, pc light, remora pro skimmer and a maxijet.

I also have a 10 gallon hospital tank for medicating (which I will probably swap out for a 20 gallon long).

There is no way that I am going to risk killing the livestock in my display tanks with a new fish.

Joyce

mb167204
12/28/2008, 11:04 PM
well i am getting a complete clean up crew from reefcleaners. Do i have to quarantine that and if so what the heck would i put in a tank without any algea to keep them alive?

Playa-1
12/28/2008, 11:06 PM
You don't need to qt inverts.

mb167204
12/28/2008, 11:11 PM
really i've read many times that you need to qt everything even inverts.
i was thinking about getting the aquaculture 10 gallon setup form walmart for my qt and just setting it up at my house which is about 10 minutes from the display tank. Then when im going to get a fish ill just get my sponge filter running in the sump a week before and then take 10 gallons from the DT and bring in home to the QT and put the sponge filter in there. get the filters running and maybe get the fish in there the next day if things are running ok. Does this sound feasible.

Tylt33
12/28/2008, 11:18 PM
MB, read the post in your other thread about your CUC. You might want to QT them just to keep them from adding new types of algae into your DT.

WaterKeeper
12/28/2008, 11:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032840#post14032840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1
You don't need to qt inverts.
That was my thinking too but I've changed my mind. Cysts could attach under a snails mantle or a cuke may harbor them in his intestinal tract. Not sure if it is true but why take the chance. Inverts are easier to QT than fish or corals.

Playa-1
12/28/2008, 11:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032971#post14032971 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
That was my thinking too but I've changed my mind. Cysts could attach under a snails mantle or a cuke may harbor them in his intestinal tract. Not sure if it is true but why take the chance. Inverts are easier to QT than fish or corals.

I've read that somewhere too. I've been thinking of adopting a coral QT program soon, maybe I should include an invert program as well. Might as well not take the chance. I will put that on the "To Do" list. It's a long list :lol:

mb167204, I would go with the 20 gallon as opposed to the 10 and it should work just fine at your house.

beachbumva
12/29/2008, 01:47 AM
I have a few and use them depending on the species and where I made the purchase, any rock gets at least a month and I use mine more for coral then adding more stress to fish, all my corals dipped in lugolds and hey I guess im old school but I believe in good old fashioned inexpensive methylene blue

nmbeg
12/29/2008, 02:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032840#post14032840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1
You don't need to qt inverts. I got a clam with a small aiptasia on it (before i started QT'ing). luckily i was able to extract it before it spread.

I have also had ICH outbreaks from new members in the DT, and I lost a beautiful coral beauty that got infected from a new arrival once.

but more than that, the real reason I QT is because I have a yellow tang that can be mean sometimes, especially to new tangs. And I mail-order fish, and they usually arrive in less than ideal condition. by QT'ing I give the new guys a chance to beef up a little before going in to battle with my yellow tang, and I have noticed that they tend not to fight because they know it's a standoff.

so yeah, bottom line, QT'ing costs almost nothing compared to the benefit it provides.

Aquarist ?s
12/29/2008, 02:59 AM
So qt tanks are just a tank, a filter and a heater with no lights?

nmbeg
12/29/2008, 03:17 AM
you should have lights too, but the simple lights that your neighbor's son uses on his 10 gallon freshwater tank are good enough.

in other words, just buy the starter kits you see at walmart or petsmart. that's about all you need.

reidcrandall
12/29/2008, 09:48 AM
I did not use a QT tank for the past 2 and a half years I have had my current tank set up, nor did I when I had it set up several years ago. I was VERY lucky, and will not be rolling the dice any further. Now that I'm setting up a 120 and will have some more expensive livestock, I am not willing to take any more chances. I will be using my old 29g as me new QT.

WaterKeeper
12/29/2008, 09:55 AM
:thumbsup:

You're never to old to learn that safety pays.

Chris&Mel
12/29/2008, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14032280#post14032280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tylt33
I can't decide what the heck it was. It started with a single white speck that I could see on the fin of a flasher wrasse. I didn't notice the problem on other fish until about a week before the first one died. There was no scratching, the fish continued eating, etc. The only common symptom was rapid breathing; either velvet or ich attacking the gills. I've got pictures, I'm going to post them at some point and see if I can get an ID on what it was.

Want to tag along on this,
I put in a powder brown tang that I noticed on day 2 had a few spots. With in a week I lost everyone except for my Fox face, who did have a few spots as well but he fought it off and is now the only fish in there.
Your description sounds bang on for what happened in my tank
Going to QT for now on
I lost
-manderin
-powder brown
-2 perc clowns
-clarky clown
-coral beauty
-yellow tail demsil
-4 bar demsil
All in less then a week and water tested perfect on everything

Kieth71
12/29/2008, 12:04 PM
I use a 20g long with a bio wheel hang on back filter,a heater and a airstone.I also use this with medications so i cant use it for inverts or corals .I will prob set up a frag tank eventually which i will then use to qt corals and inverts but for now i just have a setup for fish.

Tylt33
12/29/2008, 01:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14034736#post14034736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris&Mel
Want to tag along on this,
I put in a powder brown tang that I noticed on day 2 had a few spots. With in a week I lost everyone except for my Fox face, who did have a few spots as well but he fought it off and is now the only fish in there.
Your description sounds bang on for what happened in my tank
Going to QT for now on
I lost
-manderin
-powder brown
-2 perc clowns
-clarky clown
-coral beauty
-yellow tail demsil
-4 bar demsil
All in less then a week and water tested perfect on everything

I've got nine dead fish so far, although I haven't made it out of bed yet this morning. Two things I've read that are of interest is that mandarins generally aren't effected by crypto/ich (mine died too), and that new tanks seem to get crypto cases worse than tanks that are six+ months old, although the reason isn't clear. Whatever it was that killed everything, I was pretty devastated about it. I'll post pics today. Did your mandarin look pretty messed up when it died (i.e. skin was really bumpy)? Mine was one of the fattest mandarins I'd ever seen.

Chris&Mel
12/29/2008, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14035648#post14035648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tylt33
I've got nine dead fish so far, although I haven't made it out of bed yet this morning. Two things I've read that are of interest is that mandarins generally aren't effected by crypto/ich (mine died too), and that new tanks seem to get crypto cases worse than tanks that are six+ months old, although the reason isn't clear. Whatever it was that killed everything, I was pretty devastated about it. I'll post pics today. Did your mandarin look pretty messed up when it died (i.e. skin was really bumpy)? Mine was one of the fattest mandarins I'd ever seen.

He seamed perfectly healthy, was eating mysis shrimp and pecking away at the rocks the night before. Got up in the morning and he was sitting behind a rock (looked fine) when I looked a few hours latter he was on his side.
This struck me as odd, because I have herd that they donlt get ich as well.

chrisp074
12/29/2008, 02:11 PM
I QT everything wet, never had any signs of any parasites nor had to treat anything once it made it to the main tank. Makes my life too easy.

Fish&Corgis
12/29/2008, 05:45 PM
Keep a 20g High empty to serve as a QT. I keep the sponge from the filter and several large pieces of LR in my Fuge. When I need to QT, I fill the QT with water from my system, add the sponge and LR to the tank, throw in a PH and I am good to go.

I also go to a small LFS and will only purchase fish that have been there more than 6 weeks. She runs UVs on all of her tanks, so IMO they are already semi-QT'd when I get them.

reefergeorge
12/29/2008, 07:18 PM
I started the hobby not using a Qt, but have changed my ways.
There is no way I would add a new fish to my tank without a 8 week observation period. Too many risks to my tank, $$, and to the new fish not being strong enough to handle the harassment.

I use a 29 with 2 hob bio wheels for fish, and put new corals, and inverts in my fishless nano cube for six weeks before going into the big tank.

Jeremy Blaze
12/29/2008, 07:22 PM
In the last month I have seen Red Bugs and zoa eating nudis come through my lfs.

It is simply foolish to not use a quarintine tank.

Freed
12/29/2008, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14037318#post14037318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish&Corgis
She runs UVs on all of her tanks, so IMO they are already semi-QT'd when I get them.

This is soo not wise to even think that because your fish has been there and that they use UV that your fish are already anything close to being QT'd.

spamreefnew
12/29/2008, 09:33 PM
i skipped the q/t thing ONCE ,,,,,,,,and guess what came next???? lots of dead fish and cash! ALWAYS Q/T ALWAYS

kernyboy
12/29/2008, 11:27 PM
cash can die?

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 02:06 AM
I always use a QT tank, I have lost to many fish in the past becuase I did not.

Tylt33
12/30/2008, 02:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14038277#post14038277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
This is soo not wise to even think that because your fish has been there and that they use UV that your fish are already anything close to being QT'd.

Seconded; UVs are largely ineffective when treating things like ich, unless the water is moving VERY slowly, and the UVs are huge.

Freed
12/30/2008, 05:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14040804#post14040804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tylt33
Seconded; UVs are largely ineffective when treating things like ich, unless the water is moving VERY slowly, and the UVs are huge.

Actually not my point.

How many fish were plopped in that tank with the fish you are eyeing and had some type of disease and then sold. How many fish were ran through that tank or another that was in line with that tank that had diseases?