PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma.

skip2142
12/28/2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, so here's my situation. I currently have a 20gal FW tank that I am looking to upgrade/get rid of. Now my problem is that I was originally looking into buying an AIO tank like the Biocube or Aquapod. Now here I was, all set and ready to buy one, then it dawned on me. Why not just convert the FW tank (I'm pretty bored with it :p ). Now I have done a ton of research on the AIO tanks, but not that much on the alternative. I guess my main concern is cost, I'm not exactly rich but do have a well paying job. I know with the 20gal I would have to obviously upgrade the lights($$$), and I think somehow do some kind of sump/fuge (more research on that to come).

Is there any glaring advantage one has over the other? I know lighting cost can differ depending which route I go with the 20gal.

There is entirely too much stuff to consider here.:rolleyes:

46FiatYamaha
12/28/2008, 08:02 PM
One advantage in using the 20 would be versatility, you could use whatever equipment or method of filtration you chose, instead of just what comes with it

LoyalConvict
12/28/2008, 08:02 PM
you could always upgrade to a 30 gal or a 40 gal breeder and convert your current tank into a sump/fuge. if space is a limitation get another 20 gallon for a sump/fuge. more water=more stable. and for lights i would recomend t5's if you plan on making it a reef if you want fish only then power comcraps i mean compacts would work.

the only reason i suggest a larger tank is when i started i bought a 30 gallon got home decided it was to small went and got a 55 decided that was also kinda small then finally settled on a 90 witch i am still waiting on upgrading to a 180 or larger

and Welcome to reef central

skip2142
12/28/2008, 08:38 PM
That's another problem...I am pretty limited on space. 20-30 gal is about the max that I am going to be able to have. I was just looking under my stand and it looks like I would have sufficient room for a decent size sump/fuge.

Any good links for lighting upgrades?

Thanks for the help.

LoyalConvict
12/28/2008, 08:40 PM
www.reefgeek.com

www.hellolights.com

skip2142
12/28/2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, 2 questions about this one...

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1678

Is this about what you were referring to?

How does it work...is it clamped to the top of the tank or is is suspended from the ceiling?

skip2142
12/28/2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1718

Ok...how about this....says its discontinued or something...has a helluva price on it though.

pixburg-reefer
12/28/2008, 11:50 PM
ok if you can only fit the 20 gallon you have, turning it into saltwater wouldn't really be that difficult. A sump isn't completely necessary unless it's something that you really wanted in order to have an in-sump skimmer or something, you could get a simple hang on the back skimmer and if you wanted a fuge of some sort you could get a regular hang on the back filter, gut it out and keep the top off so light can get it, and just put some macroalgae in it and make it a hang on the back refug. But the advantage to having another tank as the sump/fuge is just maximizing the water volume (which would optimize the stability of the system ultimately) and surface area for oxidation. You could hang something from the ceiling, like a 150 MH or you could just put some VHO bulbs under a hood on it, but i'm not sure what kind of wattage that would give you.

You could do a lot with it, it just make sure you have NEVER used copper or anything on your freshwater system... and clean out the tank extremely well before even starting to convert it.

Kelly

skip2142
12/29/2008, 05:00 PM
Hey thanks for the help everyone. I do have a few more questions though. Now I know that the live rock serves as the biological filtration for the tank, but what would I need for the mechanical/chemical end of things?? Could I just use a standard hang-on-the-back filter like FW does?? Or is that what a protein skimmer is used for?

I guess one of my main concerns with lighting is I REALLY do not want to have a suspended light system from my ceiling. Is it common to find a good clamp-on-tank light fixture?

Like I said, I'm still pretty new to this stuff so bare with me :P .

Shewillbemine
12/29/2008, 05:07 PM
You could try a modded AquaClear to give you mechanical and chemical filtration AND give you a refuge for chaeto and pods.

No need for a protein skimmer IF you keep up with water changes (5-10% a week).

For lights, look at the lighting link on www.marinedepot.com THEN look for used versions here and on craigslist. That'll save you a ton of money.

PM if you have questions.

shadowbearwv
12/29/2008, 05:20 PM
Skip about about 2 months ahead of you.

I started out with a 12g Aquapod, didn't like not having versitility that a standard tank has, so I took my 20g FW tank and converted into a SW tank.

I have currently running 1 HOB Skimmer, had a AquaC Remora Nano and just didn't like the noise, and look. Just switched to an Octopus BH-2000 it's huge but looks better about the same noise level though.

I also have a HOB standard filter but probably going to get rid of that.

As for lighting I went cheap but don't plan to do much in the way of coral.

Let me know if you have any questions, and just an FYI your going to be wanting a bigger tank once you get into this. I'm researching a 72 - 90 now.

SB

Elan L.
12/29/2008, 05:28 PM
i would just go with an AIO tank. So much easier and less $$$ in the long run. besides having hob skimmer and powerheads and heater hanging down get kinda ugly. Its also good to have one as a first tank, much more managable.

skip2142
12/29/2008, 05:41 PM
I just found a used 24gal Aquapod on craigslist for $225 with MH lighting. Any opinions on these things?