PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Seaweed Clips to Magfloat

TheH
12/28/2008, 07:53 PM
I am planning to use PVC cement to glue a plastic seaweed/algae clip to a magfloat in the hopes that this is both stronger and more versatile than a suction cup.

Can I use PVC cement to do this? Will it eat away at the plastic mold surrounding the magnet?

Phyxius
12/28/2008, 07:57 PM
I dont think that PVC cement will work well or at all with the plastics on a mag float and the plastic on a algae clip. You may need a regular plastics cement or even possibly maybe weld on 4 or 16 would work......

sandiegan
12/28/2008, 07:59 PM
superglue works fine....

GaryR1984
12/28/2008, 09:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14031538#post14031538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sandiegan
superglue works fine....

+1

Just get the Gel Superglue people use to glue corals. It works great and I use it to make my own frag racks.

aentrop
12/29/2008, 12:21 AM
superglue gel works best

cdipasquale
12/29/2008, 07:43 AM
I have used the underwater putty stick to attach the seio powerhead mounts to magfloats and they held just fine with those big ol heavy powerheads hanging from them. That should work good for you. Superglue might work also if you rough up the surfaces a little so it can bond better.

shag26272
12/29/2008, 10:51 AM
I have magnetic seaweed clips, they are awesome. H20 life makes them and Im pretty sure MarineDepot sells them.

TheH
12/29/2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've heard reviews for the H20 Life Magnet clip talking about the magnet being too weak. Do you find this to be true?

I have 1/4" glass, but I really like strong magnets. My magnet cleaner from AlgaeFree is rated for 3/4" glass.

Let me know what you think about the strength of the H2O Life magnet that you have. Otherwise I will try superglue or putty. I already have a magfloat lying around anyway and the clips cost just $3.

ckoral
12/29/2008, 01:20 PM
I feel the need to share what I do regarding my feeding system. My feeding system allows for clean, low waist distribution of nori, flake, and frozen cubes and is nearly free to make in less than 5 min's.

parts:
fishing line
small section of 3/4" PVC
3/4" PVC cap
pack of small think rubber bands

to make:
take a 3.5" section of 3/4" PVC and drill a hole through the top. Thread fishing line through the hole and tie it down (I drilled in one side and out the other so the pipe stays level when hanging in the water). Make the fishing line long enough that it can be anchored outside the tank.

now you can strap nori around the PVC Pipe with a small rubber band. (i use think black rubberbands that unflexed are about a half inch circle - I keep a pack on hand, and find they break easier the more often the rubberband is dried out)

This alone makes a better nori feeder than a clip because if you have it strapped down with 3 laps of one rubberband, the fish can only get small chunks off. How many times have you seen your tank rip off a 1" piece only to watch it surface and go to the overflow? My fish clean the nori bone dry and nothing goes to waist.

You can enhance feeding nori with a dab of flake food wrapped into the nori. They seem to really enjoy the supprise.

Take it even futher, you can feed frozen food with little waist by placing the mysis into the inside of the 3/4" pipe (with fishing line through the top, the food will not float out through the top). Place it in the bottom of the PVC pipe and cap it off with a cap that has holes drilled in it (you will have to experiment with your holes as food type/size/ and current of water will all make a huge difference as to how fast the frozen food distribution will happen.

This has been an evolving process for me, but I have been setup with the above explained for some time now and really like it. If fish seem to be dis-interested in nori a little shrug of the fishing line attracts them (just like fishing).

I have never seen anyone else do this, not sure why. I really like it and could NEVER use a chip clip type system. You could get real inventive with the outside end of the chip clip, like you could fasten the fishing line to a magnet and fasten it somewhere or strap it to the center brace of your tank.

One last tip...
I leave my pipe in the water pretty much all the time as it does not bother me to see it. It gets a little green from the nori. About once a month I put a snail on it. They clean it up for you really good.

Sorry for the long post. Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Otto2
12/29/2008, 01:23 PM
Why dont you just put the seaweed in between the magnets?

Harry_Fish
12/29/2008, 02:32 PM
I made one using a mini magfloat, a clip, and superglue.

My only suggestion is to rough up the mating
surfaces a little with some sandpaper before gluing.

RWillieK
12/29/2008, 03:35 PM
I use the hook adaptors from Maxijets - just zip tie the clip to it....been going for four years now...simple yet effective.

Robbie

shag26272
12/29/2008, 04:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14035012#post14035012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheH
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've heard reviews for the H20 Life Magnet clip talking about the magnet being too weak. Do you find this to be true?

I have 1/4" glass, but I really like strong magnets. My magnet cleaner from AlgaeFree is rated for 3/4" glass.

Let me know what you think about the strength of the H2O Life magnet that you have. Otherwise I will try superglue or putty. I already have a magfloat lying around anyway and the clips cost just $3.

the magnets are not weak. I know someone with one an 1/2 glass and it works fine for big tangs. My glass is 3/8 and I also have 2 pretty big fish.