PDA

View Full Version : Help with gravel choice in reef

AD87
12/28/2008, 08:28 PM
I know its a dumb question. Okay setting up a reef for a family friend and they want to use gravel instead of sand. It says its marine and invert safe don't know? It will be packet with sps. Anyone with any experience.

http://www.petco.com/product/107318/PETCO-Black-Aquarium-Gravel.aspx

Here is the link

rgrobe
12/28/2008, 08:53 PM
Aquarium gravel is oftentimes coated with epoxy. The gravel in the picture looks shiny so I would bet this gravel is colored with an epoxy coating. Probably is aquarium safe but would limit the effectiveness of bacterial growth. The epoxy would seal the rocks. If this is for a reef tank as stricly a bottom cover it may be fine. I wouldn't consider it any part of the biological filtration as it's contribution will probably be minimal. If it is the black color they are looking for try the naturally black reef sand. The grains would remain open and could eventually house biological creatures. Good luck with the build.

Fish_wiz2
12/28/2008, 08:57 PM
i don't have experience with it in reefs but would have to say it would be a no go as those gravels usually don't buffer well and look weird in saltwater aquariums. my dad kept a FO tank back in the day and used those kinds of gravels and they just looked wrong. though give it a try and see for your self

woodiecrafts
12/28/2008, 09:27 PM
If they don't like the look or use of sand for their tank, They could use crushed coral instead. It will be more like the gravel to a degree but will be alot more beneficial as well as more natural. In the end, they will be very dissatisfied with the results of the gravel.

wegotcrabs
12/28/2008, 10:28 PM
I wouldnt use gravel in a reef setting. A lot of coral, nems, and snails like a sandy bottom. Sand is natural and helps with the filtration. I have never seen gravel in a reef, but i think it will look wierd with live rock and coral. Best of luck to you.

herostar
12/28/2008, 10:31 PM
I would suggest to them black sand

AD87
12/28/2008, 10:46 PM
Besides looks I was looking for any experience with chemical issues I will let you guys know what it looks like with some pics if I decide to go that route.

str8salt
12/29/2008, 11:07 AM
I have heard of some problems with gravel in a salt tank. The gravel tends to fuse together for lack of a better word. You will also need to do frequent gravel vacs to try and keep it clean so you parameters dont go crazy. Thinking about it, the frequent vacs might help with the fusing. Well they might,,,,? And there is also the issue of lack of function. The gravel really wont be effective for filtration. That leaves its only purpose for looks and it doesn't look good. I guess what I'm saying is that gravel just isn't a good idea.

phenom5
12/29/2008, 11:39 AM
The biggest problem that I see with using gravel is that it could cause some problems because it could become a detritus trap. Larger pieces leave room, detritus settles into the gaps, and nutrient levels rise. It would more then likely require more maintenance, i.e. vacuuming.

Not sure about epoxies, and other chemicals, but it does seem like it would be more trouble then it's worth. I would definitely push them for sand over gravel IMO.