PDA

View Full Version : brown algae

kidkaos520
12/28/2008, 09:04 PM
hello all I am back with yet another question. Seems as though the diatoms are going nuts in my tank. I know this is common in new tanks and all but I have been doing a little research and wanted some expert opinions. First off does anyone practice the art of putting mangrove plants to maintain levels? Also what would be some other ways to cure this. P.S. my levels are good and I do water changes once a week. And has anyone ever heard of leaving the lights off for 3 days to help combat algae outbreaks

Packersfan21
12/28/2008, 10:05 PM
How much flow is in the tank? I would point a powerhead toward the sandbed to prevent deadspot. I've heard of people leaving the lights off for a couple days a month, but increased flow and regular water changes would probably help the most.

kidkaos520
12/28/2008, 10:10 PM
I have a koralia powerhead slightly pointed towrds the sand and it seems all its doin is movin the sand and piling up in the corner

Packersfan21
12/28/2008, 10:13 PM
Try testing for phosphates. Do you have a protein skimmer?

kidkaos520
12/28/2008, 10:14 PM
nope no skimmer yet waiting for the sapphire to come out so i can actually close my tank

Packersfan21
12/28/2008, 10:15 PM
Then that is probably it. A skimmer helps a ton.

WaterKeeper
12/28/2008, 10:16 PM
They go away when they run out of silicates. Hopefully you use RO/DI as tap water is often treated with silicates to prevent corrosion.

The Mangrove fad petered out awhile ago but yes, people were growing them in shallow tanks much like a refugium. They are usually floated using Styrofoam block and the roots allowed to develop. You prune them just like macro algae to export nutrients. I don't know if anyone is growing them much lately but you do find posts about them on the Marine Plants & Macroalgae Forum.

kidkaos520
12/28/2008, 10:17 PM
i was actually thinking of taking the top off the tank and putting a new lighting system on it...any ideas