PDA

View Full Version : 36"L vs 48"L in a 58" wide space

FBNitro
12/28/2008, 09:29 PM
I have a 58" wide by 28" deep nook in a hallway in my apartment. I have my current 10 gallon tank there on a nice stand. I'm not buying a larger tank any time soon, I'm just one of those people that like to plan things out and take my time. So, as you can probably guess, it's a toss up between a 36" and a 48" long tank.

A 36 inch tank would give me decent room to view through the sides, but it would eliminate the larger fish and I'd love to have a Tang. But as most of us know, a Tang in a 36" long tank isn't advised by the Tang Police. With a 36", I would consider getting something 24" wide (maybe that size would be permitted by the Tang Police?) Say 36Lx24Wx18H. I think would be a neat tank size. Of course that could be 42"L if it were custom.

A 48 inch tank might be tight in there. At most ~5 inches on either side. It might be a little tough to work the mag float etc in there. And there would be even less room around the stand. I couldn't go 24" wide, the tank would be too large for my apartment, so it would probably be a 75 gallon.

What do you guys suggest?

Fish_wiz2
12/28/2008, 09:32 PM
the bigger the better but looks like a 36 incher will do. look into acrylic as they can be made into custom sizes very well at fair prices. might get you that 42" by 24"

Toddrtrex
12/28/2008, 09:50 PM
Out of the standard tanks, I would go with a 58 gallon -- 36 inches and it doesn't have a center brace. I have done a 75 in a similar space, and it was a pain to do maintenance on it. Also, depending on what type of lights you use, that isn't a whole lot of "breathing room" for the fans.

Tswifty
12/28/2008, 09:58 PM
I also would vote for 36"

You're going to need access to the back of the tank, and a tank emergency is not the moment you want to find out that 5" on either side is not enough room.

FBNitro
12/29/2008, 03:02 PM
Okay, 36" seems to be the favorite, I think it would be good also. Currently the area is carpeted, before I put in a larger tank I want to put laminate or bamboo flooring throughout my place. Do you think I should spend the extra $ and tile the area or would you guys vote to just use laminate in the area?

I wouldn't be able to install a drain there, so the only advantage with tile would be for small spills. If anything big happened the floor would be toast.

Toddrtrex
12/29/2008, 03:04 PM
I personally would tile it. But, maybe I am just messy, I tend to spill water often -- and I have carpet.

calli
12/29/2008, 05:40 PM
I just got a nice 36"L X 18"W x 24"H 65Gallon... nice and deep...