PDA

View Full Version : Boiling live rock question

coryaquarium101
12/28/2008, 09:31 PM
I have an aiptasia problem and some cyano. I Boiled some small live rock pieces that had a lot of aiptasia and cyano on the rock. I boiled some and they turned green. About 3 small pieces all weigh no more than 3 or 4 pounds. My question is should I just put it back in the tank, or is there a way to get the green looking algae off first? I tried a wire brush on a piece and not much green even came off. Thanks.

WaterKeeper
12/28/2008, 10:19 PM
It is dead rock now. What you have is the residue from the dead coralline. It is mostly calcium carbonate so soaking in a 1 to 3 solution of vinegar should remove it.

aentrop
12/28/2008, 11:48 PM
leave it in the dark for 4 weeks.

WaterKeeper
12/29/2008, 07:41 AM
You want him to "cook", cooked rock? :D

Aentrop, I think the boiling pretty much took care of all living things on the rock. At this point the isolation in the dark is overkill. For a couple of small pieces it can go right back in the tank.

lenny8671
12/29/2008, 07:45 AM
Sorry for the stupid question, but why would you boil live rock?

WaterKeeper
12/29/2008, 08:15 AM
He was killing aiptasia and I guess he didn't have any Joe's Juice handy. :D

coryaquarium101
12/29/2008, 09:45 AM
There was about 10 or more on growing on the rock and I use aiptasia X and it seems when I use it, they come back after a couple weeks. I have tried peppermint shrimp and they didn't eat any aiptasia and ended up dead after a few weeks. I have a sexy shrimp and he is still alive.

lenny8671
12/29/2008, 03:22 PM
My LFS told me to take the rock out of the tank and dig them out with a screwdriver and rinse in salt water...i only had one and its not come back after 3 weeks (fingers crossed)

Whys
12/29/2008, 03:45 PM
lenny, removing aiptasia by physically scraping them off will usually lead to replication by fission.

I have found boiling water to be a great non-chemical way to kill them, however... USE A SYRINGE, NOT A POT.

Sorry for your loss. Seek more advice before taking drastic actions.

pizazmitaz
12/29/2008, 03:55 PM
why not just chuck the rock?

Whys
12/29/2008, 04:04 PM
It can still make for excellent liverock once it has been restored by other healthy rock. But that does put you in the position of trying to cultivate liverock with an immature tank, rather than cultivating your tank with mature liverock.

In short, you'll want new rock, but keep the old stuff as you might want it later.

aentrop
12/29/2008, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14033995#post14033995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
You want him to "cook", cooked rock? :D

Aentrop, I think the boiling pretty much took care of all living things on the rock. At this point the isolation in the dark is overkill. For a couple of small pieces it can go right back in the tank.

After boiling the rock the kill the aptasia, he wants to remove the green stuff, which is algae. Even thought it is dead, it still maintained its color. If left in the dark for a month or so, the color will fade away.

Whys
12/30/2008, 01:11 AM
aentrop,

An understandable deduction, but I don't believe it's chlorophyll. All of my coralline is pink or purple but will turn green when hit with scalding water.

Waterkeeper is generally an expert in these matters. A self idealized stooge, but an expert all the same. ;)

lenny8671
12/30/2008, 06:51 AM
whys, dont know what its like in the U.S but over here trying to buy a syringe from a chemist is like asking for their right arm, they wont sell or even give you one unless you are on heroin lol

Whys
12/30/2008, 06:56 AM
Tell'em you're diabetic. :)

WaterKeeper
12/30/2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah, some expert but I do know about killing aiptasia. They have those gizmos to inject broth into chicken or turkey when you baste it. One of those will work on aips.

http://www.kitchenniche.ca/images/imagecache/marinde%20injector%20danesco.jpg

Whys
12/30/2008, 03:09 PM
Oh, wiseguy eh?

An expert is generally someone who has spent a greater portion of their time paying greater attention to something than most everyone else. There are experts in juggling. There are even experts in pumping gas. The NASCAR pit crew comes to mind, as it requires both those skills in considerable abundance.

Perhaps you are the pace-car rather than the racer. But you're an expert all the same. Without your needed expertise, the track would be littered with wipe-outs .

Don't argue with me. I'm generally an expert in these matters. :)

WaterKeeper
12/30/2008, 10:41 PM
It has my qualifications right under my user name--Bogus Information Expert. I have been misleading the unwary for over eight years now. If it wasn't for my work of keeping Newbies cursing at their tank they would find other pastimes. Like making infomercial for late night T.V. or perhaps finding out their kids no longer wear Pampers. :D