PDA

View Full Version : Flow Direction

Chris&Mel
12/29/2008, 01:42 AM
I have read another thread that said you should have 30-50x turn over rate. So my question is, were should all this flow be directed?
I have a 60gal with a korilia #2 and a #3 and my canister filter moves 375gph. (1800 ish total)
Do you count the HOB skimmer as flow as well?
After I read the thread that said 30-50x I put in another power head I had (aquaclear 802)

Now if I don't have most of them pointing upwards my sand starts flying. My mushrooms seem to close if there in to much of the stream as well.

Do I realy need this much flow?

Looks like I have a tank full of pumps....lol

Right now I have around 10 mushrooms, 3 toad stools, pile of cabage coral and a small group of zoo's. I plan on getting some SPS's

Thanx, Chris

beachbumva
12/29/2008, 02:01 AM
with what you currently have in your tank there is no need for all the flow you have, 30-50 is a rule of thumb for sps dominant tanks and nothing more then that. Some coral require high flow rates such as sps. Only my opinion but I would cut the flow back quite a bit and learn by watching at the rate your zoos and shrooms mulitply, in time you will learn how to use the rock in your tank to not only create an aquascape but to create areas of high flow moderate and low flow areas as well as different lighting arrangements, it isnt hard and to me its actually quite fun when I decide to add something new to a system to create a part of the tank its going to be happy in.

reidcrandall
12/29/2008, 09:54 AM
I would probably cut the flow in half, unless you are going to be adding SPS.

The flow should be directed at rocks, tank walls and at othe flow streams in order to help create a more turbulent flow.

Chris&Mel
12/29/2008, 10:40 AM
so, I've herd that the surface of the water is suposed to get the bulk of the flow for gas exchange, is this true?

sean_954
12/29/2008, 10:53 AM
Rite on " beachbum" !!

Chris&Mel
12/29/2008, 11:26 AM
anyone?

reidcrandall
12/29/2008, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14034789#post14034789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris&Mel
so, I've herd that the surface of the water is suposed to get the bulk of the flow for gas exchange, is this true?

Some should be directed toward the surface. It should be enough to agitate the water, but you dont want to blow it out of the tank, obviously. I wouldn't say that 'most' of it should be directed there. Most of mine certainly isn't. I believe that having an evenly distributed flow works best, and like I said, make sure that it hits the sides of the tank, rockwork and other flow streams to creat turbulance.

beachbumva
12/29/2008, 01:32 PM
Think Reid covered it for ya m8, theres no 2 systems alike due to differences we all have in taste , stock ,rock ,and equipment. your most likely getting a good gas exchange from your hob skimmer depending on which model it is, a tank full of softies can thrive in as little as 10-20 turnover and be amazing with the ri ght arrangement in flow pattern bouncing off rocks and glass, simply aimed at each other to form a triangle works well, the powersweep heads do the job in lower flow tanks and add a nice flow pattern as well, very inexpensive to toss 2 of those in and save the koralia for when you dive into sps or even some lps and softies that require a higher flow, and you will in no time at all want different coral as for most people who take the time to learn this hobby and do well at it there is a major addiction like a drug to wanting that one OMFG I have to have it coral in our tank. Don't toss your koralia or even take them back as most of us also have a box full of powerheads and can be used in other ways, QT tanks, salt water mixing tubs, ect. I've seen more colorful amazing tanks done with ricordia mushroom and lots of lower flow coral without all the use of fancy equipment and extreme high flows then I have ever seen done with a 50+ times turnover rate blowing sand dunes all over the tank, sorry I get carried away. Have fun M8 and good luck as I will sit here and type for England sometimes lol