PDA

View Full Version : 1000 rimless display... sharks, tangs, and SPS possible?

eisaiasjr
12/29/2008, 03:02 AM
Hello:

I am in the process of building a 1000g, its an "L" shape tank that will be 144" long, 51" wide and 25" high on the long side, and 91" long, 48" wide on the short side.

Now, I must say that this will be a "rockless" display tank, since I have an additional 500g of sump where I will keep my rock, the only rock that will be in the display will be for "decorative" or "holding corals" purposes only. I would expect the display to hold somewhere between 100-200lbs of rock, the tank will only have 1" of sand also.

I have been thinking alot about what I want to put inside and I was hoping that someone with experience could maybe help me in my fish selection...

I have narrowed down to 2 types of tangs, Yellows and Achilles. I was thinking of putting somewhere between 7-11 of each type of these tangs. I would like to complement these tangs with a little bit of "WOW" factor by adding a shark or a ray but I am torn as to which shark or ray to choose, obviously my main concern is loosing fish to the shark.

I know that sharks and corals dont mix because sharks can move stuff around, however I crazy glue, velcro and ducktape every rock and every coral so that this is not an issue. (just kidding)... I will affix every rock and coral in order to prevent to shark from knocking stuff over.

So, in essence...
-What do you guys think about having these 2 tangs co-exist with each other?
-Is 11 tangs of each (22 total) just way too much for a tank that is almost 20 feet long (when adding both legs) and more than 4 feet wide? how many tangs would you put in this tank?
-Is putting a shark in the tank just a terrible idea and should be avoided at all cost? what "WOW" fish would you add instead of this?
-I was also considering a school of anthias, however the 2 sets of tangs were my #1 choice.

Other than the fish mentioned above I will not put any other fish, I like the clean look that these 2 color of fish will add to the tank

Your thoughts, comments and flames are appreciated :)

Regards,

Estefano

stylolvr
12/29/2008, 07:10 AM
IMO, yellow tangs are not the best choice. With the money you are putting into the setup (which a build thread would be great for!!!), there are several other choices I would recommend, maybe Sohal, sailfin, or even purples. If you do keep yellows, however, make sure to keep them in odd numbers (11 is good). I have seen them (working at a public aquarium) pair up when in even numbers and get super-aggressive. Not ever a problem with odd numbers.

eisaiasjr
12/29/2008, 09:41 AM
Stylolvr:

Yes, I am planning a build thread very very soon... I have all the blueprints and schematics for the tank already and the glass has been ordered however I am waiting a little bit before I start it since it wont be installed till Feb - March when my apartment closes.

More feedback on the tangs/sharks thing is appreciated :)

Regards,

Estefano

Phillybean
12/30/2008, 10:27 AM
I think a ray would be better than a shark, however a Bamboo shark would be a nice choice. I've never seen a tank with a shoal of Achilles, however they are an awesome fish.

As far as the yellow tangs go, with a tank this size, with-out a lot of coral (by the sounds of it) I think the bright yellow from the tangs would look awesome. I also don't think 22 tangs in a tank this size would be too much, just make sure you skim lots :)

Solitaryensis
12/30/2008, 11:16 AM
For a tank that size, im not sure you would be able to get a shark that would give you that "wow" factor. Your options are probably limited to sharks like a bamboo or port jackson, both of which are small and relatively docile. If you are looking for a top swimming, active shark like a black tip, im not sure your tank would be large enough to accomodate one past 6 months to a year. And as far as corals go, there is no amount of glue that you can use that would prevent a larger shark from knocking things over. A blue spot ray would be very nice but again, a very difficult fish to keep and many have noy had much long term success.

As far as tangs, if you want a school, I think your best option would be the yellows or tangs from the Zebramosa family. 11 grown out Achilles would be a nice site but as you probably know, Achilles are difficult to care for and get very large. If anything, I would go with the school of yellows or purples and a sohal and/or Achilles. I would also add a nice school of Anthias.

I think that you would get the wow factor by virtue of the tank size and just the number of fish you will have. Good luck with the build!

dingdong03
12/30/2008, 07:46 PM
all i can say is cool

TandN
12/30/2008, 08:00 PM
id go w/ 7 yellow 7 purple sohal achilles and a buncgh of anthias and colorful fish of that sort

smurph1415
12/30/2008, 09:13 PM
wow awesome! i think shark is a possibility....maybe

Dante_JoseCuerv
12/30/2008, 10:21 PM
Hmmm, just a suggestion, but why not mix up the tangs?

Get like a sohal, maybe a clown (don't know if those two would get along but I prefer sohals), a group of achillies, maybe a thomson's tang and err, actually just fill the rest up with yellows and whatever else you feel like.

I love these big build threads, once I've got my own place I plan on having my own as well :)

Keep us updated! I'm curious to see how this turns out.

eisaiasjr
01/03/2009, 07:41 PM
Hello:

I just wanted to let everyone know that the build thread for this tank has begun...

You can find the thread here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1541614

Since this is an ELOS tank that will be made in Italy and delivered fully assembled (including stand) I started the thread @ the ELOS forum.

I have posted renders and full descriptions of both the new apartment as well as this new 1000 gallon (~1800 total volume) behemoth!

I hope to see you there!

Regards,

Estefano

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/12/2009, 01:51 PM
Is this thread still being used for suggestions on the livestock or has that also been moved to the new build thread?

vair
01/12/2009, 10:51 PM
watch out the Tang police are lurking....

jjk_reef00
01/18/2009, 12:29 AM
I can't wait to see pics of this!