PDA

View Full Version : 72+ hours of 432w T5HO lights.

Flightpipe
12/29/2008, 08:10 AM
Well in a hurry to leave for the holidays I topped off my tank fed the fish and and THOUGHT I had adjusted my timers to cut back a little light while I would be gone for X mas. Well I got home 3am Sunday and wonder what the bright glow from my living rooms was, I had left my manual light switch on and my lights had been cooking my tank for over thee days and my temp was 83 deg.:smokin:

I guess I made it home before any real damage could be done no fish losses and other than some bleached and very angry zoas + algae on the glass I think i am no worse for wear. *SIGH* The only thing I have really noticed was some of my coraline algae seems to have died/bleached off on my LR I though that was a little odd I figured that the extra light would really set it off.

I am leaving again for new years but only a day and a half, but I will be sure the lights are on the timers this time!

Anyone else do anything bone-head that almost took their tank out this X-Mas season?:lol:

WaterKeeper
12/29/2008, 08:43 AM
It really shouldn't cause any undo harm and 83° is not all that high.

Flightpipe
12/29/2008, 01:31 PM
I was under the impression that anything above 83 is not good and 84-85 is the threshold of killing things due to heat. I normally shoot for a temp of 80.

Scuba_Dave
12/29/2008, 01:39 PM
My tank in the summer runs between 80-85 without any problems
I turn the AC on at 85, simply because at that point the rest of the house is hot

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 02:57 AM
I also think it won't be a problem

NirvanaFan
12/30/2008, 06:10 AM
My tank gets up to 87 in the summer and everything is fine. I actually shoot for my tank to run between 81 and 85 during the summer. There is no set temperature where corals will start bleaching. If the inhabitants are used to 75 degree water and the temperature rises to 85, everything could die. But, if the corals are used to 82 or 83, a rise to 85 will be no big deal and they will be fine.

This is one reason why I like my temperature to fluctuate. I like it to fluctuate 5, 6, or 7 degrees a day. The corals get this much every day in the wild, and it won't hurt them if they're used to it.