PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Aggressive Forum!

fender4string
12/29/2008, 09:23 AM
So yesterday I had my first real issue as an aquarist-a power outage that lasted 12 hours. If it hadn't been for the tips that I've picked up from you guys here on the aggressive forum to keep your fish alive during a power outage I guarantee I would've lost my first (ever) fish. So thank you guys for being so helpful and taking all the time you do to extend your knowledge to everyone who needs it!

Recty
12/29/2008, 09:31 AM
Awww shucks, no problem ;)

Mike5252
12/29/2008, 10:53 AM
Glad to help!

barbianj
12/29/2008, 04:27 PM
What happened? Why did the power go out?

fender4string
12/29/2008, 05:51 PM
I'm in Michigan and we had a day with really strong winds that knocked out a pretty big area. So since it's obviously winter I had to content with the tank getting colder and colder. If I hadn't known to boil water on a grill, fill containers, and then float them in the fishes tank, I honestly don't think she would've made it.

barbianj
12/29/2008, 07:11 PM
Ahhhh. I'm in Wisconsin, so you guys in Michigan get the nasty weather that passes by us. We had subzero temperatures with huge drifts of blowing snow, but no power outages. Good to know about the warm water trick. Did you have to agitate the water?

Crazy One
12/29/2008, 07:50 PM
It sounds like it's time for a generator, probably a great investment just in case that happens again.

fender4string
12/29/2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah I did stir the water only once and then just kind of hoped there'd be enough dissolved oxygen as it's only one fish in a 29 gal QT. I wanted to keep the tank covered to keep the heat as I was more worried about decreasing temperatures. Also, I wrapped the tank in as many blankets as I could find to provide insulation. So after the fact I bought a back-up power supply (used for jump starting cars and stuff so it's good to have regardless) to run a heater and pwh. It cost about $75. Too bad I screwed around and didn't get it earlier but at least I'm prepared for the future :).