PDA

View Full Version : loc line plumbing

fishox
12/29/2008, 12:01 PM
Any tips to disconnecting these? My return lines are too far below the water line. I am destined for a flood if we lose power. I want to shorten the loc line "pipes" without breaking anything.

billdogg
12/29/2008, 12:14 PM
just twist and pop them apart

Otto2
12/29/2008, 01:21 PM
You can drill a hole in one of the links towards the top.

fishox
12/29/2008, 02:30 PM
I didn't think of the hole. That is easier and safer. I was afraid of torking something trying to twist those things off.
Thanks

Whys
12/29/2008, 04:11 PM
Water can end up spraying out the hole in ways you don't like. A check-valve on the return line is also an option. IME, the clear PVC true union swing check-valves sold by marinedepot will seal 100% with 2 feet of water column, when new. I have two return lines at sandbed level, about 1 foot under the water surface and my check-valve has worked perfectly for the last 3 months.

AZDesertRat
12/29/2008, 04:33 PM
Drilled holes and check valves are both a recipe for disaster. The one and only safe method of backsiphon protection is an air gap. Keep the retruns close to the surface and always provide enough freeboard or space in the sump to contain that couple of gallons that wil siphon before the return is exposed and you are safe and can sleep at night.

fishox
12/29/2008, 05:37 PM
I opted for shortening the returns to just barely below the water level. I think AZ makes a compelling case. Check valves can jam, and the siphon holes can be problematic.
Thanks all for the tips.

Whys
12/29/2008, 06:32 PM
Loc-line makes a pair of pliers for each tubing size. They are only meant for assembly, but can often prove useful in disassembly as well. Otherwise, bend at the joint until it pops off. Be careful of putting too much pressure on any attached bulkheads.

I have my clear check-valve front and center in my stand and there is a ball-valve after, so I can shut-off the line and maintenance or replace the check-valve as appears necessary. The odds of both the return-pump going off unexpectedly and a check-valve clog going unnoticed at the same time is unlikely. But my tank does receive a lot of daily observation.

indydog1
12/29/2008, 06:51 PM
you could just add a y splitter and have a surface port and a lower one as well.

NirvanaFan
12/29/2008, 07:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14037628#post14037628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
Loc-line makes a pair of pliers for each tubing size. They are only meant for assembly, but can often prove useful in disassembly as well. Otherwise, bend at the joint until it pops off. Be careful of putting too much pressure on any attached bulkheads.

I have my clear check-valve front and center in my stand and there is a ball-valve after, so I can shut-off the line and maintenance or replace the check-valve as appears necessary. The odds of both the return-pump going off unexpectedly and a check-valve clog going unnoticed at the same time is unlikely. But my tank does receive a lot of daily observation.

What happens when the power goes off at night or when you aren't home? Something as small as a spirorbid snail, or a clump of algae could cause your check valve to fail. I would suggest that people keep their return lines near the surface of the water.

Whys
12/29/2008, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14037765#post14037765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
you could just add a y splitter and have a surface port and a lower one as well.

+1

Whys
12/29/2008, 07:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14037839#post14037839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NirvanaFan
What happens when the power goes off at night or when you aren't home? Something as small as a spirorbid snail, or a clump of algae could cause your check valve to fail. I would suggest that people keep their return lines near the surface of the water.

First, it would require I not be home. I work from home, so for me, that's not likely. Plus, for something to clog the valve it first has to get in there and then go unnoticed. My return line is a dark and dangerous place with tremendous current and pressure. I have yet to see anything at all get in there. If algae accumulates, I'll see it and clean it out immediately.

Tho I do like indydog's approach and will give it some thought should I need to be away for awhile.

NirvanaFan
12/29/2008, 08:13 PM
It doesn't take long for gallons of water to siphon back into the sump. I would NEVER rely on a check valve to stop the siphon. Do a google search for saltwater check valve failing. It came up with over 9000 results when I searched. Even here on RC there are many instances where they have failed.

Even a half gallon a minute from a partially blocked check valve that siphons into the sump will drain a tank pretty quickly. Think of all the time you're not paying attention to the tank, grocery shopping, visiting family, having family visit, cooking, sleeping for 6-8 hours, watching tv, going to bars, etc.

spamreefnew
12/29/2008, 09:36 PM
what indydog1 said y them off